Need some advice for my upcoming tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
So i have a 20L laying around in my room waiting to be set up. This tank is going to be a FW tank mostly hardscaped with locally collected rocks and driftwood. But now i have a question about filters. I dont want much, if any, equipment to be seen in the tank so i i dont want a HOB. Im leaning towards canisters but i want to try a sump. I have 2 10 gallon tanks that i would like to use instead of just having them lay around. I wouldnt/dont have an issue building the sump itself. The part that confuses me is how to get the water to move ( main tank- sump- main tank). I watched alot of videos and read about it but im still a bit confused.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think the same amount of equipment will show with any of your choices. You'll still need an intake & return any way. The least obtrusive is black tubing against a black background...or gray with gray, etc. On my 20 long I use an AC 50 but with all the plants I may add another or similar. Sumps aren't usually used on such small tanks but you could, I guess, I've yet to go with 1.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
If you want to 100% hide hardware, you could do it kinda like Aqueon Evolves and Fluval Specs do it with a small "sump-like" area within the tank. I've been thinking about doing this in my bare 20 long with a moss wall or just a halved plastic trash bin with slots cut weighted down with a rock.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
For a typical sump, you'll need to drill your tank or use an overflow box. Apparently, some tanks shouldn't be drilled (Idk which ones) and overflow boxes are siphon powered, and if they fail, you might get water on your floor

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
If you want to 100% hide hardware, you could do it kinda like Aqueon Evolves and Fluval Specs do it with a small "sump-like" area within the tank. I've been thinking about doing this in my bare 20 long with a moss wall or just a halved plastic trash bin with slots cut weighted down with a rock.
I have thought about this in the past. It would be a pretty easy build. Ill take a look at my evolve 2 that i had a while ago and see how i would make it. I just dont want to lose much space so ill probably only make it 1/4 - 1/2 the length of the tank if i were to go this route

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Or maybe a matten filter along the back?
I only heard of this type of filter literally a week after setting up my 40B and i was so tempted to break down my tank just for one of these. So far, the matten filter and the type of filter glabe suggested are deffinately the 2 im deeply considering. Thanks for reminding me!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
So i stopped by ACE and bought some silicone, krylon spray paint, and some all purpose sand. What type silicone is needed? Ill go see what i bought and update you guys. So far i think i may go with a homemade matten filter instead of buying one or go the route glabe suggested because that seems like a fun project to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store