Need some advice on new CO2 system

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Phoenixjoni

AC Members
Mar 19, 2018
Bailey, CO
Hello,
I really need some advice on what to do next with my co2 system.
I have a new co2 injection system on my Aquarium. According the charts, with my current pH and kH levels, dissolved co2 level is only at 11.3 ppm.

Here are my 55 gal. Tank Water Parameters:

pH 6.9 (Tap Water/Tank pre- co2 pH 7.6)
GH 6 degrees 107.4 ppm
KH 3 degrees 53.7 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
(NO2) Nitrite 0 ppm
(NO3) Nitrate 2.0 ppm
PO3 2.0 ppm

I have an Eheim 350 (2273) filter and a Marineland 75 dual HOB filter on this tank. I am currently using an inline Atomizer for the co2 injection on the outflow tubing.

Prior to installing the co2 system my tank pH was at 7.6, GH was at 9 deg., KH was at 4 deg. I starting using an API water softener pillow, which brought the pH down to about 7.2 and GH down to 6 deg.

This tank also recently had the substrate changed (2 weeks ago), added safety sorb, organic miracle grow garden soil, Fluorite, and black diamond sand cap. (Seeded with prior Tank's Filters & media). There are also several large pieces of driftwood. Fert dosing with Thrive+. Tank will be highly planted. I have 2 Current Satellite LEDs with PAR 98 and 1.78 watts/gal.

I am not sure how to get my tank to the optimum dissolved co2 level of 33ppm.
I am using a pH controller which is currently set at 6.9 PH (recently installed and calibrated).

Should I add some bicarbonate soda to raise the KH a bit? And try to lower the pH setting on the pH monitor to 6.5?

I am used to doing a weekly water change of between 30 to 50%. I am currently using Tap water with a pH of 7.6. I am a bit concerned with the Tap water pH being so much different than what the tank water with injected co2 adjusted pH level of 6.9. Isn't this a bit dangerous to the fish to change the pH this much on a weekly basis? I understand that the pH scale is logarithmic, which means a 1 point drop/rise in pH is a tenfold change in acid or alkalinity. I am not at all sure what to do about this. At the moment, I cannot afford to go out and buy a RO/DI system. Although I wish I could.

My fish are currently not in this aquarium, till I get these co2 level, PH, KH & GH levels all straighten out. They reside in another temporary tank.

My Tank - 05-18-2018.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Great looking setup!

I'm not an expert with CO2 injection, but I do believe you'll want to reduce surface agitation as much as possible. For this reason I would not use a HOB style filter on this setup.

Reactions: Phoenixjoni

Phoenixjoni

AC Members
Mar 19, 2018
Bailey, CO
Great looking setup!

I'm not an expert with CO2 injection, but I do believe you'll want to reduce surface agitation as much as possible. For this reason I would not use a HOB style filter on this setup.
I have very minmal surface movement. You need a little to circulate the co2 through out the tank. I have some floating plants, they hardly move at all across the surface. My concern is with my low kH level which lowers the disolution rate of the co2, and also lowers the pH level. I would like to reach the optimal rate of 33ppm of dissolved co2.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Congrats on your new setup, full tech.

Most important thing I can say is don't worry about hitting that optimum CO2 level or pH or anything else actually. Stability is FAR more important than any "optimal" number. Don't add anything to adjust pH or KH. I fought with this myself for awhile. According to the charts my CO2 was sky high but clearly my fish were not gasping and the plants wanted more co2. Most tanks can do amazing with far less than 33ppm also.

What kind of plants and fish do you plan to add? That could influence things.

One method to find out YOUR good CO2 level is start somewhere like 1-2 bps per say (pack your tank full of plants when starting btw). Observe the plants, adjust the CO2. Once you think you have it close add a few fish. OBSERVE and adjust again. If the fish start gasping, (which I've never gotten to that level myself) then increase aeration immediately, until they stop gasping and turn down the CO2 a bit, stop aeration and observe.

Since you have the pH probe though you can just adjust the pH down more. You shouldn't need to go to extreme low levels to get where you want to be. See below for info a pH and certainly research it more yourself too.

In regards to the pH coming in at water changes, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I am horrible at repeating things in the scientific way that I learned it but basically, pH changes due to gas saturations (O2, CO2 etc) do not affect fish in the same way as things like dissolved minerals (GH, KH, TDS). So as long as things like KH, GH and TDS (and temp) are similar, pH difference shouldn't be an issue. To "test" this, observe the fish after a water change. If they act unusual then maybe you need to take extra steps. Mind you most fish enjoy a water change and will act different (happy).

I agree that HOB can off gas CO2. If you are aiming for very high CO2, lights and ferts than you will minimal surface agaition and HOB are counterintuitive to that goal. In a low light setup a HOB can actually add CO2 by constantly replenishing the CO2 used in the water with atmospheric CO2. In high tech setups you want more CO2 IN the the water than there is in the air so while trying to find balance as everything in nature does the CO2 will be off gassed. Use your canister filter output and power heads or another canister to circulate the water/co2/ferts instead.

Reactions: ustabefast

Phoenixjoni

AC Members
Mar 19, 2018
Bailey, CO
Congrats on your new setup, full tech.

Most important thing I can say is don't worry about hitting that optimum CO2 level or pH or anything else actually. Stability is FAR more important than
any "optimal" number. Don't add anything to adjust pH or KH. I fought with this myself for awhile. According to the charts my CO2 was sky high but clearly my fish were not gasping and the plants wanted more co2. Most tanks can do amazing with far less than 33ppm also.

What kind of plants and fish do you plan to add? That could influence things.

One method to find out YOUR good CO2 level is start somewhere like 1-2 bps per say (pack your tank full of plants when starting btw). Observe the plants, adjust the CO2. Once you think you have it close add a few fish. OBSERVE and adjust again. If the fish start gasping, (which I've never gotten to that level myself) then increase aeration immediately, until they stop gasping and turn down the CO2 a bit, stop aeration and observe.

Since you have the pH probe though you can just adjust the pH down more. You shouldn't need to go to extreme low levels to get where you want to be. See below for info a pH and certainly research it more yourself too.

In regards to the pH coming in at water changes, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I am horrible at repeating things in the scientific way that I learned it but basically, pH changes due to gas saturations (O2, CO2 etc) do not affect fish in the same way as things like dissolved minerals (GH, KH, TDS). So as long as things like KH, GH and TDS (and temp) are similar, pH difference shouldn't be an issue. To "test" this, observe the fish after a water change. If they act unusual then maybe you need to take extra steps. Mind you most fish enjoy a water change and will act different (happy).

I agree that HOB can off gas CO2. If you are aiming for very high CO2, lights and ferts than you will minimal surface agaition and HOB are counterintuitive to that goal. In a low light setup a HOB can actually add CO2 by constantly replenishing the CO2 used in the water with atmospheric CO2. In high tech setups you want more CO2 IN the the water than there is in the air so while trying to find balance as everything in nature does the CO2 will be off gassed. Use your canister filter output and power heads or another canister to circulate the water/co2/ferts instead.
I just put in quite a few new plant. The valensia in the back is young and short. My corys are rummaging in the new Monte carlo, so not sure it going to stay put. I have another batch of plants coming in next week. Hoping to get more red plants established. Just put my fish back in th tank. It been 48 hrs, They seem to be doing fine and enjoying their new home. All test results are great. So I will give it some more time and see how these do.

20180520_155258.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store