need some ideas for a black and white theme tank....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Ok...I found a rock like decoration I had laying around that fit the color profile of this tank....moved a couple of the plants around and this is what I have now.....I am going to get more of the large black plant...like the one on the right...to put behind the white plants on the left....and a few smaller white ones on the right maybe....we'll see...
:D oO(This is FUN !!)

StacieA

AC Members
Jul 10, 2005
Washington, DC
Oh wow! What a difference the rock makes. It's really coming together nicely. :clap:

reignman40

AC Members
Jun 15, 2005
Spokane, WA, USA
You know I read this thread a couple days ago and I JUST a couple days ago picked up a 10 gall. I loved the idea so much I am going to run with it as well. I already had some black rock (slate I think it is). I went with white gravel and black background as well. I was thinkging of transferring my 4 Panda Cories to that tank and add maybe some guppies and I really liked the Silver Lyre tail Mollies. I have some of it set up already. Will get some pics when mine starts to come together as well. What do you think would be a good fish count if I wanted my 4 Pandas and some guppies and mollies?

AWESOME idea! I love it. Great pics by the way. The rock does make it look a lot nicer.

Curtis

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
It most certainly does....It has a touch of brown on it which compliments the sand very nicely...since the sand is a very light beige color rather than true white..which is fine with me.

I think the addition of a large black plant behind the white plants will also help that left back corner a great deal. I just wish the rock was a bit larger...but maybe I could get another one and lay it out a different way, so it doesn't look like the same exact thing...lol....or, find a similarly colored one that is a different shape and size..hopefully larger at a reasonable price. I got that one at PetSmart for like 8$ I think...once upon a time. I'll post more pics as I make changes.....

Thanks for the encouragement ! And Riegnman...I'd LOVE to see your tank when you get it all setup ! :cool:

Oh, as far as your fish count...I always figure less is better than more....you know you are overstocked when you get that brown algae consistantly growing on the sides of your tank and on everything else...IF it's an already cycled tank that is. If it isn't cycled you will most likely see some during the process, but it shouldn't show up once it's set...unless the balance is off. You may try adding a small sponge filter in the back of your tank to increase the filtering. I have one in this tank in the back right corner, behind the black plant. A 10 gallon size sponge filter plus what you have on there already, should keep that water nice and clear and allow you to add a few more fish maybe.

Last edited:

StacieA

AC Members
Jul 10, 2005
Washington, DC
Check out ebay for rocks. I've found some awesome deals on there.

I'm hoping you go with the long finned blue danios cuz I really think they would look gorgeous in setup. They do have ADD just like the zebras but are oh so much more graceful about it. lol

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Yeah, I've been thinking of doing that..about ebay.....

And I do agree with you about the blue danios looking really great in this tank....But I'm thinking since I want baby guppies asap...I'll keep it to just the guppies and corys....for now....later on, when I get the number of guppies I want, I'll want to put something in there that will eat baby fry..AND..get along with corys and guppies.....which I think leaves out the dalmation mollie suggestions. I have been reading that guppies and mollys don't do well together in general...and I have a friend who has a tank where that combination didn't work out in either...so........anyone have a nice female zebra pleco they want to get rid of.....cheap ? :hi: (they go for over 300$ at Dr Foster/Smith)

OH LOOK !! Here's Tink to help me out with that request !! What a good girl ! :D
:fairy:

:rolleyes: oO(Ok Alice...the Mad Hatter and his white bunny sidekick went THAT way....>>>)

Last edited:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
DANG IT ALL !!

My female guppy had her babies last night...no survivors that I can see...it's a pretty barren tank with not much for hiding spots.....

Rats ! now I have to wait another..6-8 weeks ?? I don't remember how long it is between releases with guppies...I've never bred any before. I did notice her gravid spot was dark and her vent was looking "ripe" last night before I went to bed....but I didn't put her in the breeding net like I should have. I had been reading that it wasn't good to put them in too soon as it could stress her out and cause her to let go of them too early....ggrr..should have listened to that "little voice" in my head that was telling me it was time... :rolleyes:

Ah well, next time I'll know what to look for and hopefully time it right. I just hope nothing happens to her....they don't have any more in the store and the owner said they don't get them in very often.

Shawna

AC Members
Jul 7, 2005
How is that thermometer cup for suction?? I need a new one, just have a peeling sticker one right now, and was going to steer away from that type because I figured it would just slide off?? Working out good for you?? (Beautiful tank by the way!! The rock does make a huge difference!! What about some really deep burgandy red colouring in there for some MAJOR contrast??? Just one big thing or something. A Rock mabey. Just suggesting my two cents.. ;) But your tank is lovely as is!)

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Burgandy huh ? Hhhmmm..... It's a nice idea and might look good if done right, perhaps a plant, which it would be easy enough to find something in that color. but I think I'll keep this with the b&w color scheme. It's a good thought though so thanks for pitching in ! :)

The thermometers do eventually start floating around after a bit..the suckers dry out and loose thier effectiveness...but you can find replacements in lfs usually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store