need some pleco help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sminker

AC Members
Oct 22, 2007
i vote for gold nugget. i love mine. glad i bought him. very distinct looking from other plecos.

Dschwec

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Phila, Pa
Finding something that suits you in your price range is probably not going to be too hard. I'd be more concerned with why you lost the last pleco you had, so that perhaps the $ you are about to spend is spent well. Plec's in general, are a long lived species.

That in mind, IMO the most important things when keeping a pleco are: Having higher levels of disolved oxygen, (especially true for some of the rarer more exotic species) Over all dietary needs & proper feeding, and having tank room to grow. It also helps to provide sufficient hiding places and some driftwood. (which i'm sure you know)

I'm no expert on plec's, but I have learned the hard way, and wasted a lot of $$$ in the process. This formula now seems to be the one that works for me.

loki993

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
Finding something that suits you in your price range is probably not going to be too hard. I'd be more concerned with why you lost the last pleco you had, so that perhaps the $ you are about to spend is spent well. Plec's in general, are a long lived species.
agreed. id definitly hate to get an expensive pleco just to have it die in a few days or weeks, that said I have a pretty good idea of what killed our previous pleco. 1. age, the fish were given to us with the tank, the fish was at least 9 years old, still they normally live longer than that that leads to #2, water qulity, when we got the fish the tank was very dirty and the water quality was very bad, I kept the tank clean and the water nice the fish were fine, but all 4 fish that came with the tank are now dead the last of them being the pleco, he made it 6 months, im pretty sure the conditions they were in before we got them had to have done some irreparable damage to them. we have no problems keeping fish alive now, except a few we got from a LFS we have had bad luck with, all the fish we have bought from than have died, all the fish in the tank have come from petsmart of all places and we have only lost one and he was sick when we got him im pretty sure. he never ate well, he never gret and then I saw white stringy poo and I knew he was sick, tried to save him be he was too far gone.

we have plenty of oxygen, 2 bubblers going the length of the tank, I understand feeding, plenty of driftwood and there is the bridge that our old one liked so much.

KnaveTO

AC Members
Jun 7, 2007
Toronto, ON, Canada
First off every plec in my signature will stay under the size you are looking for. I would recomend that you research each one on www.planetcatfish.com

I would also recomend no matter what that you stay away from the L046 Hypancistrus zebra (Zebra Plec) as most breeders will not sell to a person who doesn't have much experience with plecos and that they also prefer to sell them in quantities as the population is in decline and is in danger of being wiped out with the dams being build in Brazil therefore it is a breeding thing right now to populate the species in captivity.

Some of the plecs in my signature are a tad more difficult to keep than others however with research you should be fine. Just make sure that you are well aware of the dietary and aquarium needs of your new fish.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
i think that a king tiger plec would be great mine stays out all day he doesn't eat wood and he looks great he also isn't that expensive he cost me £22.50 about $45 they grow to about 7"

DSC00039.JPG DSC00038.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store