need sump info

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
I don't like the idea because then part of your water coming out of the tank will never see the skimmer, thus making your systam somewhat less effecent. I think t'ing off of the return is better as the water has a chance to see the skimmer (which IMO also helps oxygen exchange). And may I ask why the outlet of the skimmer couldn't go back into the intake section of the sump?? I think this would be easier and a better option as flowing it to the fuge will give some non controlable flow, and not all your water enters the skimmer which the nutrients from the water that does not would be good for the macros exspecially if you have a good skimmer that removes a lot of dark waste.

Dixon

AC Members
Feb 16, 2006
Sunderland UK
I don't like the idea because then part of your water coming out of the tank will never see the skimmer,thus making your systam somewhat less effecent.

yes i see that so have both outlets dropping water into the inlet compartment then.

I think t'ing off of the return is better as the water has a chance to see the skimmer (which IMO also helps oxygen exchange). And may I ask why the outlet of the skimmer couldn't go back into the intake section of the sump??

it can there is no reason why it cant, it could even go directly into the return compartment as it is the next compartment to the inlet compartment. so sending the water through the return pipe into the fuge with a t piece is a good option, will this not be devoid of the nutrients required for the fuge if its the water about to be sent back to the tank?

I think this would be easier and a better option as flowing it to the fuge will give some non controlable flow, and not all your water enters the skimmer which the nutrients from the water that does not would be good for the macros exspecially if you have a good skimmer that removes a lot of dark waste.
the skimmer is a deltec ap600 so it is a good one the outlet from the skimmer has a valve to control the flow heres a pic of it and feed pump , im not sure what you mean.

DSCF0049.JPG

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Personally I would run a vinyl tube and route the output to the intake section of the sump, or shorten the tube, you will want to use that adjustment to get the foam you want (wet or dry depending) and not waste it to regulate the flow in the fuge.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Sounds sweet to me!!

Dixon

AC Members
Feb 16, 2006
Sunderland UK
ok i have my final design so here goes what do you think

the sump will be 26'' long by 18'' wide by 14'' high

the intake/skimmer section compartment will be 6''long and 18''wide and will be situated on the left handside and will have a 3 baffle bubble trap totalling 3'' wide and has a 1 '' gap between each baffle with centre baffle 1'' of the bottom. this section totals 9''.
this section will hold the feed pump for the skimmer only.

the next compartment in the middle is the return which will be 7'' long by 18''wide and will hold the return pump and heaters only.

the last compartment will be the fuge section at the other end of the tank and will be 8'' long by 18'' wide and will hold a deep sand bed with live rock rubble only.
this will be partitioned with a single baffle from the return.

the tank will have 2 holes drilled with bulkheads behind a weir, each bulkhead will have piping flowing too the sump with one flowing directly the the intake compartment and the other piping will have a T peice section, the T peice sectioned piping will split between the fuge and the intake compartments with the fuge piping having a ball valve to help regulate the flow.
once set up the intake compartment will receive 75% of the water and the fuge the other 25%, the return compartment should be big enough too keep the evaporation down too.

the baffle height will be 9'' with the center baffle being 10'' due to the 1'' gap underneath

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store