Neocaridina heteropoda turning black?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
What have you been feeding?

Often, the shrimp called "blueberry" which everyone insisted were dyed a few years ago (but were not) look exactly like this. From what I remember, they were determined to be a neocaridina (which I still don't think is necessarily accurate). Often their offspring were more like the ones pictured in your opening post, but throughout the generations there would be some really nice opaque ones like the one you have isolated. I had them for a couple years. Nice, healthy, outgoing shrimp slightly larger than most of the domestic neos available.

Diet can effect their colouration significantly, any foods labeled color enhancing with astaxanthin will make them much bluer when normal diet they will usually be more brown in coloration.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Today's coloration is a bit different. It looks like the exoskeleton has faded and it's color is mainly displayed from the blue innards. Hehe.. innards.

Yada yada blah blah blah
Haven't been feeding any color-enhancing stuff, just the usual flakes and pellets - though that probably works out, since it was essentially a extremely dark brown until I moved it. The blueberry shrimp was one of the shrimp I compared it to after it lost the black, that doesn't seem to be it. I did however ended up finding a thread where someone had a similar shrimp (when it's blue anyways) no one could identify, and they just ended up calling it a wild Neocaridina.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Those are beautiful! I love the brown stripe on the blue body. I can't wait to see what comes of this.

Cyano

Registered Member
Oct 6, 2010
If only my wild Neocaridina would turn into gorgeous blues overnight. :shakehead: Bookmarked, definitely following this.:dive2:

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
is it just adults turning or are smaller juvies getting dark?

my old cherries get darker as they age to almost black like dried blood,.. its a sign of aging some times to a dk purple,..

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
And today.. back to black. Geez.

is it just adults turning or are smaller juvies getting dark?

my old cherries get darker as they age to almost black like dried blood,.. its a sign of aging some times to a dk purple,..
I have a lot of adults, but only a few are dark. They are preggars, so guess I'll just wait and see if their babies turn dark as well. The separated one isn't preggars, so I'll catch a male and throw it in with her tomorrow to see what comes of it. "You probably should've done that days ago". Yeah, you're right, I probably should have.

You crack me up
I don't appreciate your sarcasm. My feelings are hurt or whatnot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store