Neon Tetras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I bought 15 of them during a Petco $1/ea sale in Feb 2013. Lost a bunch in the first few days. Still have 8. I've read that well cared for neons can live 6-7yrs.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
I see comments on Neon Tetras being frail a lot, but in my experience they have always been the hardiest fish in my freshwater tanks. Even when I was a kid and we bought a school of 6 at walmart of all places, they lived a good 5 years at least. I have 9 right now, 5 of which were cycle fish.
I think they get the reputation of being frail because a lot of ppl don't know to cycle their tanks. So when they go to PetCo and buy 20 of them for their 10g tank they all die and ppl just blame the species.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
I bought some cardinals a few months ago and when I got home I realized I had one neon mixed in there. Poor guy, he seems "nervous" but still totally schools with the cardinals. And seems fine so far, even though I imagine he is stressed without any other neons. I don't want two tetra schools in that tank though.

greyrayne

Registered Member
Nov 8, 2013
Virginia
I think they get the reputation of being frail because a lot of ppl don't know to cycle their tanks. So when they go to PetCo and buy 20 of them for their 10g tank they all die and ppl just blame the species.
We did start with 6 young neon tetras in our fish cycle, but I (naively) added a male betta not long after and he chomped one little guy before I got him back out. Even though the tank is now planted and a full community tank, my betta has his own home...he seems to prefer his own company (as some do).

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Another possible reason for short-lived neons might be water temps. I think people forget neons should be kept in cooler water (~68 to low 70's F range).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store