New 10G tank: Stocking Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Hi,
3 weeks ago I began cycling a new 10 gallon Tetra GloFish tank with an Aqueon Whisper 10 filter, 50W heater and moderately planted tank with two bubblers. GloFish substrate over AquaSoil. Blue lighting in the hood, which came with the tank.

With 25% weekly water changes, my water chemistry is now stable at:
NO2: 0
NO3: 5
NH3/4: 0
PH: 7.6
Temp: 78

I checked AqAdvisor and get 100% stocking capacity for the following tank mates:
6 x Tetra Glos
2 x Albino Corys
3 x Red Cherry Shrimp
2 x Nerite Snails

I would appreciate comments from members regarding my stocking plan.

Thank you!
Randy/Folsom, CA

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The Glo tetras are Gymnocorymbus ternetzi and they get almost three inches long. In addition to that they are very deep bodied fish and are fairly active and nippy. IMO this makes them unsuitable for a ten gallon tank. If you're set on the Glo line of fish, you might want to go with the danios. They're very active, but will be mostly ok in that size of tank. Additionally, because they are smaller you will be able to up your cories, as they are schooling fish and need more than just two. However, I wouldn't go with the albinos as again the tank size won't be suitable. I would recommend one of the dwarf corydoras species instead and to go for 6 of them. There is some great information about the three available species here http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/corydoras-in-miniature-full-article.htm.

Reactions: MardieJane

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Tifftastic,
Thank you for your quick reply. The article was very interesting and helpful on the dwarf corydoras. I checked out the Glo Danios at my LFS. They are really nice and available in many glo colors. I am planning to go with your recommendation...5 glo danios and 5 dwarf corydoras.

THANK YOU and wishing you Happy and Healthy Fishies!
Randy/Folsom

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I wouldn't recommend shrimp as small as that unless you want to take a chance and have them become expensive fish food. But if you are willing to raise the numbers to around 6-10 before adding the glo danios, then they would have a chance to breed and raise their numbers high enough so that they wont be wiped out if the danios take one now and then. If you want to add the shrimp after the danios, I would go 15 at the minimum with 20 being preferable.
Or you could go with a bigger shrimp that wont be eaten. Bamboo shrimp would fit nicely I believe, but very fragile in my experience.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
I wouldn't recommend shrimp as small as that unless you want to take a chance and have them become expensive fish food. But if you are willing to raise the numbers to around 6-10 before adding the glo danios, then they would have a chance to breed and raise their numbers high enough so that they wont be wiped out if the danios take one now and then. If you want to add the shrimp after the danios, I would go 15 at the minimum with 20 being preferable.
Or you could go with a bigger shrimp that wont be eaten. Bamboo shrimp would fit nicely I believe, but very fragile in my experience.
Thank you.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would argue that danios would only be able to pick off the smallest shrimp. They have fairly small mouths.
This...

Predation on the shrimp would really only affect babies... If you are planning to breed them then simply having suitable plant or hardscape to give them cover should help you keep the majority of the baby shrimp.

I have a tank with corydoras hastatus, Otocinclus, an unidentified (because I am really too lazy to Google or something) school of tetras, red cherry and tangerine tiger shrimp.

The number of shrimp is increasing without me having to do anything special. There is just some rock and some plants in the tank and they seem to do fine.

But if you are planning shrimp, I would really try for a group of 10 or more if possible.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
This...

Predation on the shrimp would really only affect babies... If you are planning to breed them then simply having suitable plant or hardscape to give them cover should help you keep the majority of the baby shrimp.

I have a tank with corydoras hastatus, Otocinclus, an unidentified (because I am really too lazy to Google or something) school of tetras, red cherry and tangerine tiger shrimp.

The number of shrimp is increasing without me having to do anything special. There is just some rock and some plants in the tank and they seem to do fine.

But if you are planning shrimp, I would really try for a group of 10 or more if possible.
Thank you!

Tropicalfishlover

AC Members
Apr 13, 2017
I think the shrimp should be fine I currently have 3 cherrys with a betta some say they will be eaten by the betta but has never happend to me. As long as they are not too small they should be fine. Also you said your tank is moderately planted are you using co2? If so the bubblers can effect that in a way think about it...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store