New 20 gallon freshwater aquarium - any fish suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Hm, I'll consider those. How big do they get?

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Ramshorns can get around an inch, but most of the ones in my tank only get to about half an inch. Pond snails can get up to half an inch. But again, the ones in my tank are much smaller.

Again, both of these types of snails have the potential to overpopulate to the point of being considered undesirable nuisance pests! Overfeeding can encourage population explosions.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I found that ramshorns and pond snails are attracted to algae wafers, so are super easy to bait and remove. I also suspect my ghost shrimp were eating small pond snails, because I'd often find the shrimp picking over snail shells.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Lettuce works really well to remove them as well. But in general I have found that ramshorns don't reproduce as quickly as pond snails or MTS. I actually really like ramshorns and have kept them in multiple aquariums, used for food for loaches and my dwarf puffer, without them over running it very easily. Meanwhile I was given a tank that someone had added one MTS to and though I had a DP that I fed every other day a small amount, baited snails, did a lot of water changes and gravel vacuuming I still would find at least 100 MTS that would come out of the gravel at night if I checked the tank. . .

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Alright, I'll go with a Ramshorn snail. I was wondering, Have you ever had a Tetra whisper 1-3i power filter? I'm looking into getting one, and I have read some reviews, but am wondering what you think of this product yourself.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I've never used them personally, but I had customers that loved them. If you're just planning on having a snail in the tank you could almost just get a back of bio media for the fluval/Aquaclear filters and use those instead of the filter pads. Fill it full of plants and you'll have a pretty nifty little set up.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
If you add ramshorns, you may need to provide them a calcium source for their shells. I used a cuttlebone sold for birds. Boil it for a few minutes and it'll sink to the bottom. I let a little algae grow on the cuttlebone so the snails would graze on it. Ramshorn shells can etch badly if they experience calcium deficiency.

Mark

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Good point, I didn't think of suggesting that as I always made food for mine. I read on here a while ago there was a suggestion of using tums as well, or simply the calcium tablets sold in stores. I went with one of the jello recipes and added reptile calcium powder to it, but I fed it to all of my fish so it wasn't hard that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store