New 20g progression thread.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Greetings all! I got my new 20g "just in case my holding acei needs it" tank two days ago and got the urge to make a progression thread about it. My old lady said this is tank #5 and had to go down if the acei didn't need it, but she changed her mind after I got it setup with the black sand and pretty live plants :) Anyways, here's what I did and how it's going so far. Comments appreciated.

Day 1
a) 11am: Bought 20g high package with lights, filter, etc. from chain for $42.
b) 12pm: Transferred 10g of established water from 30g to 20g and filled the rest of the tank with dechlorinated tap water followed by bacteria supplement.
c) 4pm: Ran established filter on 20g and new filter on established 30g for roughly 16 hours.

Day 2
a) 10am: Switched filters back to their respectable tanks.
b) 10am+: Added bio-wheel from emperor 400 to 20g tank.
c) 1:30pm: Added 3 amazon swords and 3 otos to the 20g.
d) 3pm: Performed 50% water change and switched out bio-wheel with other from emperor 400.
e) 8pm~: Checked levels with dip strips (I know, terrible...getting liquid kit today if I feel the need).

Day 3
a) 9am: Checked levels at local chain store via liquid, not strip, kit before turning the light on. Tests were all closer to normal than I've ever had establishing a new tank.
b) 10am: Checked on the otos..all 3 were dead. JUST KIDDING! :hitting: Jeeze, I'm a punk.
c) 10am+: Performed 50% water change and watched otos continue to gnaw 1/4 algae wafer and swords.

The tank is going better than I had expected. I believe having water from an established tank seems to provide a magnet of sorts for bacteria growth in the new tank. That and using the bio-wheels. I see a lot of posts mentioning how using a bio-wheel and established water to jump start a tank doesn't do anything, but I've used this method twice now and had fish in the tank the same day with stable nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia levels. Anyways, I'll update this tonight after work and registering for what I hope is my last year of college. Cheers for looking, the tank's not quite done yet! :thumbsup:

CIMG0093.jpg

0112110924.jpg

0112110924a.jpg

CIMG0093.jpg 0112110924.jpg 0112110924a.jpg

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Good news! Levels are stable and all fish are still alive, eating properly, and irking the heck out of my bumblebee catfish (who is more like 1.5" now that I've seen him out and about more). Doing a water change this morning to continue suppressing ammonia levels. Thanks for all the help both in this and the other thread! Pics coming but probably tomorrow in the photo gallery when I get the tank looking good.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Just got home from testing out the levels in the new 20g. Looks like I'm ready to add the rest of my fish, so this is what the final stock is most likely going to be. Added over a few days of course:

3 otos (might move to 40g for algae and get nerite snails)
5 albino corys
2 bumblebee catfish
1 neon dwarf rainbow fish
3 ghost shrimp (cleaners)
4 blue tetras (maybe)

All fish are roughly an inch long but the bumblebees which are about 1.5". I'm going to move them to my 40g breeder when they hit round 2.5". I was worried about overstocking the bottom but given the amount of plants/rocks this tank is going to have, and the nocturnal nature of the bumblebee cats, I'm really not so stressed. Plus these corys aren't very shy and love to run the tank. Thanks if you've watched this thread! Not quite done yet :)

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Cool tank and setup!

By the way, id hate to break it to you but those plants are nonaquatic and will eventually rot. I recommend researching other plants to put in your tank.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Really? Hm...said they were swords. I'll have to go back and complain but I wish I'd kept the tags for them.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Yeah, im afraid they arent swords. They look more like bamboo than anything. I think they are specifically call Sandriana or smthn to that. Most stores sell them since they look nice, but they dont people that they will eventually rot. Its a common mistake so dont feel too bad.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Went in this morning and the guy was like, "Sorry, dude...nothing I can do." The plants were in a 40g breeder setup as a plant growout tank next to the plants labeled "swords, anacharis, anubias, etc.". I'm pissed but only wasted $9 on all 3 plants. I'm going to leave them in there to continue aiding my new tank until I venture out to get new plants this afternoon.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Update!

11/14 11am: Added 3 ghost shrimp and other 3 albino corys to the tank. I've had stable readings for 2 days and decided today was the day to start the real stocking process. I did the 3 corys/shrimps today, not worrying about the shrimp as they don't work the ammonia levels too much, and plan on adding my 4 blue tetras and neon dwarf rainbow fish and calling it good. Stock so far:

2 bumblebee catfish
5 albino corys
3 ghost shrimp
3 otos

Thanks for looking!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store