New 25 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
That thing is exactly what I would never buy, it has no specifications at all. Judging from the price it has a very low output and that is not what you want. Rarely do I see aquarium lighting that does anything for medium to high light plants.
I was talking about these type of strips that you buy and cut at length:

I would estimate you need 3 to 4 times the length of the tank of such a strip. About 1 inch width if you were to put them all side by side.

There are many commercial fertilizers for aquarium plants that are safe to use.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sweet setup! It's a little different in that the top is rimless, yet it comes with a full, matching hood?

Just to add to the all the advice above, what are your plans in terms of fish and plants? Plans for establishing a nitrogen cycle? I'd get that sorted first, then modify the lighting if you want. Like said, the lighting you have might support java fern and some high mounted anubia. You don't know unless you try. These plants grow slooooooowly, which can be discouraging to someone new at it.

shrimparecool

AC Members
Aug 29, 2018
That thing is exactly what I would never buy, it has no specifications at all. Judging from the price it has a very low output and that is not what you want. Rarely do I see aquarium lighting that does anything for medium to high light plants.
I was talking about these type of strips that you buy and cut at length:

I would estimate you need 3 to 4 times the length of the tank of such a strip. About 1 inch width if you were to put them all side by side.

There are many commercial fertilizers for aquarium plants that are safe to use.

Are those strips waterproof if I wanted to put them on the underside of my hood?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Are those strips waterproof if I wanted to put them on the underside of my hood?
Could be. For how long is anyone's guess. Like said, I'd get something intended for wet/water use and preferably, something with lumen, etc..etc.. specs.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Look for the specification IP65, IP66, IP67 or IP68. IP68 can be used full time under water. IP64 or lower isn't suited. IP65 can be used in bathrooms and those are fine to use in an aquarium hood. Mine are IP65 as well. There are shops specialized in those strips and they have so many types. You will see different voltages like 12 and 24 as well.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

shrimparecool

AC Members
Aug 29, 2018
Look for the specification IP65, IP66, IP67 or IP68. IP68 can be used full time under water. IP64 or lower isn't suited. IP65 can be used in bathrooms and those are fine to use in an aquarium hood. Mine are IP65 as well. There are shops specialized in those strips and they have so many types. You will see different voltages like 12 and 24 as well.
Perfect, thank you!!

shrimparecool

AC Members
Aug 29, 2018
Sweet setup! It's a little different in that the top is rimless, yet it comes with a full, matching hood?

Just to add to the all the advice above, what are your plans in terms of fish and plants? Plans for establishing a nitrogen cycle? I'd get that sorted first, then modify the lighting if you want. Like said, the lighting you have might support java fern and some high mounted anubia. You don't know unless you try. These plants grow slooooooowly, which can be discouraging to someone new at it.

Thanks!

For cycling, I have already put the log from the 5 gal in the tank. I was planning on adding the substrate too. I only have a betta and 3-5 red shrimp in the 5 gal right now. I really don’t want a chaotic tank, so I was going to stick with what I have for now. I might add a small school of tetras or sometime similar later.

A couple of the red shrimp are pregnant right now and I’d like to move them before they pop... I really don’t want to have to chase tiny little shrimp babies around with a net...

Any suggestions on the cycling or timing for when I add the shrimp and betta, please let me know :)

shrimparecool

AC Members
Aug 29, 2018
Soooo update on the tank...

I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid or not about this so bear with me. I found a new stand that’s shorter and wider at a thrift store. I took all the water out and almost off the substrate. I moved the tank and started to put the substrate back in. I then noticed a gap between the glass and the plastic at the bottom. Is this normal for a bow front? Or any tank I guess. If it looks wet in the crack in the picture it’s because I spilled a little down the front.

7CC605A7-CCDF-4BAF-B3D4-02B31211C0F2.jpeg

4180A5DF-E329-4578-97D8-9E8DDA8231D6.jpeg

5D64416B-08EF-41FB-8AFE-CCB80E0B271F.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't like any unsupported tank edges...so I see big gravel & sand? Are they both in the tank or not? It's hard to tell...particle board? EEK!, an water spill away from disaster.

shrimparecool

AC Members
Aug 29, 2018
I don't like any unsupported tank edges...so I see big gravel & sand? Are they both in the tank or not? It's hard to tell...particle board? EEK!, an water spill away from disaster.
It’s all gravel with the bigger stones that I had in my 5 gal, the last picture on that post is looking down from way above the tank. And no, definitely not particle board LOL. I can see how it looks like that from the picture. It’s fake granite. Some sort of stone that’s in the center of the solid wood table.

93EAA6CF-9701-4FB2-B2A8-7F2950A63E36.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store