New 5 gallon hex.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jessa10

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
Hello everyone,
my mom asked me to put together her old 5 gallon hex tank. I have used gravel from my established tanks and luckily all of the equiptment that came with the tank (filter, little heater... all works). So I have been testing the water and all of my results have been good for the last 3 tests, done over the last 5 days, and tomorrow we are going to begin stocking the tank. I have a few different stocking ideas and I wanted to know what you guys think would work for this itty bitty tank.
Option 1:-2 Ottos, 4 neon tetras.
Option 2:-2 Otts, 1m and 1f fancy guppy.
Option 3:-3 Panda, Peppered or Pygmy cories and ??something else??
Option 4:-1 Male Betta, anything he can live with?
Let me know what you guys would do. She wants some floating plants (I have them in my tank, but I don't know what they're called) and then that's it...the tank is done! Thanks for the awesome advice in advance all.

Daveski

AC Members
Oct 2, 2005
Syracuse, NY
From what I understand, Ottos really need like 10g each, so they probably wouldn't work in such a small tank. I'd agree that a Betta would probably be the best option.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
i'd go with a betta.. and maybe add a couple ADFs? Or Shrimp? Although i've never had a problem with bettas and shrimp, i believe others have? If you'd like them the best way is to just try it, Ghost shrimp are like 10 cents at local chains.

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
you could have three or four endlers livebearers and a snail, and a couple shrimp. Maybe even more endlers, i dont remember. I kept some in my 5 gal hex... I want to say there were 5 in there, but that sounds like too many. you should research them they are realy cool, but you have to look at em kinda close up :)

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I think option 4 is the only option. Maybe add a snail or single shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store