New Betta - male or female?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Its a male...females are less colorful and have much less finnage:) Hes cute!

dreadboy113

AC Members
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich. UK
I'll agree. I don't have much exp with bettas. But i think male. Was he in the lfs tank by himself or was there lots together. Males by themself female together. Just my opinion

spirals

i will eat you in your sleep
put the betta in a cup with a see through bottom and look for a little white dot on their underside. females have the dot, males don't ( at least so far in my experience i haven't seen a male with one). i dunno about just basing it on coloration, some of my females are just as vibrant as the males.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I have two bettas. I have to disagree I think yours is a female the females have shorter finnage then the males. Males have long flowing finnage check out the one in my avatar that's Merlin my crowntail betta. I have seen females in the small bowls in my LFS as well as the males. The males definitely have to be kept separate or they will fight you really have to know what you are doing if you want to put a male and female in a tank together as well since they can fight too unless they are ready to breed. Female bettas you can put together I have seen them in tanks at my LFS. Yours is a beauty very pretty betta. To be on the safe side keep the fish by itself watch to see if the finnage gets any longer and flowing if it does then you have a male but the fish looks like a female to me. Good luck!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
I have two bettas. I have to disagree I think yours is a female the females have shorter finnage then the males. Males have long flowing finnage check out the one in my avatar that's Merlin my crowntail betta. I have seen females in the small bowls in my LFS as well as the males. The males definitely have to be kept separate or they will fight you really have to know what you are doing if you want to put a male and female in a tank together as well since they can fight too unless they are ready to breed. Female bettas you can put together I have seen them in tanks at my LFS. Yours is a beauty very pretty betta. To be on the safe side keep the fish by itself watch to see if the finnage gets any longer and flowing if it does then you have a male but the fish looks like a female to me. Good luck!
not all males have long fins...there are variants where there is minimal difference between the male and female fin lengths.

gikthechamp

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
thanks for the feedback guys. The fish was in a cup by itself labeled female betta, but the cashier charged me for a male crowntail, even though I had my doubts. My girlfriend plans to keep it by itself in a 5 gal octagon tank so it really doesn't matter too much but I am curious. You can't really tell by the pictures but this fish is small, about half the size of my full grown veiltail male betta. Also, the fins were much shorter than those of the unambiguous crowntail males at the store.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
male. females have very obvious 'egg spots' right behind their dorsal fin. I would guess he is about 6 months, hence the smaller size and shorter fins.

females are actually just as colorful as males, the two I have now are amazingly colored, almost more so then my bright red male. the many I have had in the past show their brightest colors when they are kept in a tropical tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store