New Clownfish not eatting.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Garlic is the bomb! :D Fish love it and it will kick start appetites in finnicky eaters. I feed garlic soaked foods regularly.

Thresa

AC Members
Sep 15, 2004
Was the forumula one that you used at first frozen or flake?

Are Kent Marine garlic extreme and seachem garlic guard about the same or is there one that works better?

Can the garlic be used with flake food too?

Sorry for all of the questions I'm just worried about the little guys. I'm going to pick some up right after work today and I'll let you know how it works. Thanks for all the advice.

Thresa

kcmo lawman

Just a SimpleMan
Dec 10, 2004
Kansas City, Mo
I am not sure what type or "brand" of garlic I used because the lfs gave me a liquid sample of it in a small ziploc bag. I put some flake food and some frozen shrimp in the bag and shook it all up and then put it in the tank...needless to say my fish went totally nuts and haven't stopped eating when fed now. If in doubt you can go to your lfs and ask them about a garlic supplement and see if they can give you more information or a sample.
Good luck, and hope everything works.

Bradd

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Here's what I do:

I fill a small bowl with tank water. I crush a clove of garlic into the water, letting it sit about an hour. I strain the garlic out and add the food, letting it sit about a half hour. I feed Formula A, pygmy angel food, spectrum pellets, and flake food. I add the flake food right before I put the mix into the tank. Any small pieces of garlic that go into the tank get eaten, also.

You don't need some overpriced LFS garlic formula. All you need is plain garlic, a garlic press, and a strainer.

kcmo lawman

Just a SimpleMan
Dec 10, 2004
Kansas City, Mo
I wasn't aware that you could use any type of garlic. Wasn't sure if there was something that was done to the garlic solution prior to it being shipped to the lfs....some supplements added and whatnot. Now that I know I can use garlic cloves from the store I will use that method in the future if I have any more trouble.
Thanks for the info,
Bradd

Thresa

AC Members
Sep 15, 2004
Good news, the clowns like the garlic. They are both starting to eat a lot more. They still don't eat very fast, but I'm sure they their apetites will continue to grow. Thanks for the advice.

Thresa

kcmo lawman

Just a SimpleMan
Dec 10, 2004
Kansas City, Mo
I am glad to hear that the clown is now eating. Garlic seems to be a pretty good way to jump start an appitite on some fish. I know I was very pleased with the result I got when I used it.

Glad to hear things are going better now,

Bradd

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Thresa,
Good to hear that the garlic maneuver worked! :D I would continue feeding the garlic soaked foods for a while until they are established on the food. I don't use garlic at every feeding now, just about every other day as a treat. I use garlic for all newcomers, also.

Not only is garlic fine cuisine to the fish, it's also good for them. I've read that it helps them repel parasitic infections.

nitrogenbubbles

AC Members
Feb 17, 2005
Garlic....

It has worked for me in the past...but if the garlic doesn't work.....you could alway go with coralife's "Target food" it is a phyotoplankten( dead of course) suspended in a goop..all my clowns have slurped this stuff up, I have a difficult time getting the food to the anemones....good think I feed them fresh sea life every four days. Still haven't been able to find a Material safety data sheet for this product:() But garlic has saved many a picky juvenille clown.....but to help avoid this....try to get them paired and at least 3.5cm in lenght...you might pay more for paired...but it is worth the extra when they produce offspring, but on another note....watch out...I have recieved scars from cleaning a tank area the spawn area, clowns are very fierce when protecting there eggs. it is the same way in the wild....very territorial. But, I have also learned in the past that every situation is different:( Hope this helped

Crabbypatty

AC Members
Feb 24, 2005
there probally sick or stressed..
you can tell there healthy if they eat well and don't have a glassy coating on there eyes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store