New denitrifying device... Wow or Worthless...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
Anerobic methods of removing nitrates are also very risky. I would not risk my fish to the anerobic bacteria extracting the oxygen they need to make glucose from sulfates (SO4) and converting them into sulfides such as hydrogen sufide (H2S) which is also known as rotten egg gas or swamp gas. This stuff is highly toxic (so toxic in fact that its use in undergraduate studies is forbidden). Would not want to be exposing my fish to this stuff. Live plants + waterchanges are cheaper anyways.

spinjector

AC Members
Jan 24, 2005
wesleydnunder said:
It's billed as low flow. In order to keep the biobed anaerobic it would have to be extremely low.
Yes.

I learned in another forum that AquaMedic has been marketing a sulphur-based denitrator for many years. They also have a carbon-based denitrator that's pretty slick. The reactor has a built-in fitting for an ORP probe. The probe connects to a controller that runs a dosing pump that maintains an ORP of -300 to -100, which is the optimum level for carbon-based bacterial denitrification.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Yea, I've been hearing about them for a while. It's just that the cost/benefit ratio is a little skewed. I mean, for $700.00 it ought to be able to suck the nitrates out of an unopened pack of cheap hot dogs from across the room. Besides, with regular maintenance nitrates are manageable. Freshwater fish can live happily in nitate concentrations that would give a SW polyp a case of the sulks anyway. Just doesn't seem worth it for FW.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store