New Discus Egg Pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Tiff, AFAIK, most discus breeders I've known pull the fry (or parents) after a couple weeks at most. The fry feeding on the parent's slime coat can be hard on the adults after a short time & most breeders want them to spawn again & produce more babies! New parents, like many cichlids, may eat fry when they're ready to breed again...or I've heard of parents being so into fry care that they don't eat well & that's not healthy either.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Thanks fishorama for the info, fish breeding practices vary so much from person to person. . . I have other thoughts on that practice, but I'll save them for something else to keep this thread OT.

anubis63

AC Members
Apr 11, 2015
Sacramento, CA USA
Real Name
Robert Mortenson
I'm confused, I've never bred discus but with them being in the cichlid family I don't see why you want to separate the eggs from the parents. I would think if they were good parents they would be able to protect the eggs from the other fish in the tank. Wouldn't the amount of parental care make them more desirable as a breeding pair? Especially with the amount of parental care that discus have, like the feeding of fry and stuff, I would think that someone would want a pair that was proven to take good care of their fry all the way through. But again, I've never bred discus so I don't really know.
I think you all are going to find this ridicules as far as keeping the eggs safe but I am not so interested in breeding as I am in selling a pair and most of you agree that what you see and heard from me doesn't allow for that and I hope I'm not being confusing. Now for the obvious/ridicules part, the most probable cause of the eggs being eaten (the Discus attack anything that comes near the eggs no mater how big) is my Black Ghost knife who ignores any attempt from the Discus protecting the eggs he will get bombarded with hard pecks from both fish and they will try to block him but he is very determined to eat them and pushes through all attacks I really shouldn't have a BGK in the tank at all there are no other fish other than him who are not Discus I I am selling him. You all have so much great things to say and discuss I can't thank you enough and if you find this reply confusing it's because I worked until 2:00 am and just woke up. :p

anubis63

AC Members
Apr 11, 2015
Sacramento, CA USA
Real Name
Robert Mortenson
I'm confused, I've never bred discus but with them being in the cichlid family I don't see why you want to separate the eggs from the parents. I would think if they were good parents they would be able to protect the eggs from the other fish in the tank. Wouldn't the amount of parental care make them more desirable as a breeding pair? Especially with the amount of parental care that discus have, like the feeding of fry and stuff, I would think that someone would want a pair that was proven to take good care of their fry all the way through. But again, I've never bred discus so I don't really know.
I think you all are going to find this ridicules as far as keeping the eggs safe but I am not so interested in breeding as I am in selling a pair and most of you agree that what you see and heard from me doesn't allow for that and I hope I'm not being confusing. Now for the obvious/ridicules part, the most probable cause of the eggs being eaten (the Discus attack anything that comes near the eggs no mater how big) is my Black Ghost knife who ignores any attempt from the Discus protecting the eggs he will get bombarded with hard pecks from both fish and they will try to block him but he is very determined to eat them and pushes through all attacks I really shouldn't have a BGK in the tank at all there are no other fish other than him who are not Discus I I am selling him. You all have so much great things to say and discuss I can't thank you enough and if you find this reply confusing it's because I worked until 2:00 am and just woke up. :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store