New DIY Nitrate filter started om my 210 tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
here are the pothos i was able to get
the roots looks quite small?

will the setup do for my pothos? i placed it inside my sump.
the tank is outdoors

this is part of the plant i picked

besides the pothos i also have water wisteria in my sump

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Only time will tell. I know photos is sensitive to direct light because it is a low light or indirect light plant. If it grows fast and green its getting all its nutrients. If it grows slow and on the yellow side its not getting enough nutrients. If the roots get fuzzy the water is too stagnant or your stocks are too deep in the water. Only time will tell. :rolleyes:

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
terror:

keep those leafs out of water, make sure there's a little water movement and give it plenty of light... it should grow like the weed it is. pothos is a very hardy plant that thrives under most conditions other plants would die overnight in.

here in pennsylvania, usa i grow it outside under full sunlight all summer long. my pothos only develops leafs the size of an american quarter under dim light. under full daylight the leafs grow bigger than my hand and very variegated... same plant. in arizona or the phillippines i don't doubt it would prefer a little bit of shade... maybe a sheet of window replacement screen over the plant for protection would do the trick if you're growing it outside.

nutrients... although having SOME is very important... are not important at all in comparison to most other plants... it's an amazon plant... my jalepenos had to be fertilized 4X's this summer... my pothos... once... and it may not have needed it at all... it never actually showed any signs of deficiency... in 2 yr old, unfertilized soil... much of which is coco fiber (void of nutrients)...

if you want leafs the size of dinner plates... start with a plant with leafs larger than a quarter... give it a fair amount of light and a little nutrients... it will be very happy. :D

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
When it comes to direct sunlight there are different UV index depending where you live and here in AZ its the strongest in the nation. Initially when my Pothos on my 120 tank grew the distance to the adjacent window and under the shade in direct light the leaves withered and that was with 80% UV tint windows. After those exposed leaves died new thicker leaves grew and they did not wither when exsposed. All my Pothos stocks on my tanks are making the pilgrimage to the windows that provide their lighting. Some across the wall to adjacent windows and some across the ceiling to windows across the room. If I lived in a more temperate climate like Cali I would definitely build a long central canal pond outside stuffed with Pothos that all my tanks would drain to on one side (upstream) and draw from on the other side (downstream) using drilled overflows and returns. But here in AZ its just to hot in summer unless you build a deep pond.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
When it comes to direct sunlight there are different UV index depending where you live and here in AZ its the strongest in the nation. Initially when my Pothos on my 120 tank grew the distance to the adjacent window and under the shade in direct light the leaves withered and that was with 80% UV tint windows. After those exposed leaves died new thicker leaves grew and they did not wither when exsposed. All my Pothos stocks on my tanks are making the pilgrimage to the windows that provide their lighting. Some across the wall to adjacent windows and some across the ceiling to windows across the room. If I lived in a more temperate climate like Cali I would definitely build a long central canal pond outside stuffed with Pothos that all my tanks would drain to on one side (upstream) and draw from on the other side (downstream) using drilled overflows and returns. But here in AZ its just to hot in summer unless you build a deep pond.
yeah, i would definitely think the heat (off the charts) and humidity (virtually non-existent) down there would play a major role in killing pothos left outside to the elements. i also see what you're saying about the light... but it adapted and does adapt well to strong lighting. it's a tough plant.

curious though... what do you mean by 80% uv tint? i ask because windows with uv protection and tint are rated the same way usually. 80% (if that's what's listed on the windows or spec sheets) would normally be how much light or uv that's allowed to pass. in essence this would mean it only blocks 20% of uv light. that's exactly why i buy 2.5% limo tint for my windows, blacking out the back of my fish tank, etc. ... because 2.5% tint essentially only allows 2.5% of the light to pass through, blocking 97.5% of all light. 2.5% is the darkest tint i've ever found, personally... and my room is a cave fit for a bat to rest comfortably if need be.

basically... it's completely possible that you'd get more light through your windows than i do on my patio... even with 80% glass.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
You can also get them at Lowes and they are huge especially when they have a new shipment but for me they never do as well in the pot as they do in the Power-filter (PF). I had two plastic small pots with remnant small Pothos stocks left over and they hardly grew in the potting soil with tap water. Now that I replanted them in the PF on my 210 tank in just 2 weeks they have perked up and are starting to take off.

The plant below in the poor photo taken today is the Pothos on my 244 tank which does not have a window light help and has required a 20W 18" florescent aquarium fixture to grow on between the hours of 6pm and 6am. But now the plant is on the move toward the window light on opposite side of the room.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
wow, gunner... that's a lot of pothos. have you thought of installing some kind of decorative trellis behind your tanks for it to grow on?

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
wow, gunner... that's a lot of pothos. have you thought of installing some kind of decorative trellis behind your tanks for it to grow on?
Im considering a PVC trellis for the new Pothos growing out of my 210 sump becasue it is so low and happens to be very close to a window bottom, placing a trellis over the window-frame. But for Pothos growing out the top of a tank PF siting 60" off the ground and 6' to 15' from a window there is not much vertical room. And while one could argue that on a wide trellis you could switchback the plant stock in a zigzag pattern in one area, my goal as well as the plant is to make it to the window to get the better lighting. Once it arrives I may install a 6'X5' trellis into the window frame and then do the switchback zigzag blocking the entire window saving both energy for plant growth and radiant energy in the house fighting the AC.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store