New filer installation and bacteria colonization

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

strat1127

Registered Member
Mar 6, 2005
I have a well established, overstocked 65 gallon African Cichlid (all Mbunas) tank. I have been running a wet/dry (sump) with overflow in tandem with an Aquaclear 70 for the past 5 years. I am in the process of removing the sump and going to with 2 Seachem Tidal 110's (which will be more than enough filtration.)

I have already replaced the Aquaclear with one of the Tidals. I have two large bags of new ceramic rings in the Tidal and threw two more bags in the sump (to use with the other Tidal once installed). The new Tidal and sump have now been running together for a 2 full weeks.

I'm now just waiting to install the 2nd Tidal. The bio media in my sump is of a type that would not easily be transferred in sufficient quanity into the Tidal.

So opinions...is two weeks long enough with my current setup for sufficient bacteria colonization with the new bio media? Or should a wait another week or two?

strat1127

Registered Member
Mar 6, 2005
I you were to get new filter, put in the old media into new filter and u should be good to go.
Normally I would do this however, like I said in the OP, the bio-media in my sump will not not fit properly in a HOB filter. Hard to explain but the media is made up of long thin plastic strips...it looks like a big ball of spaghetti , which works fine in the large area of my sump but will not work in my new HOB. All of the bio-media will be new in both new filters.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Why not just add the 2nd new filter on the main tank now? It will eventually colonize over the course of a couple weeks and then you can add the ceramic rings from the sump.

There is no hard and fast rule on how long it takes to colonize a new filter though the usual suggestion is 2-4 weeks.

Taking the current sump off-line after the install of the 2 Tidal filters may still impact the ability of the BB considering your over stocked tank so testing will definitely be helpful. You could also add the sump media in a mesh bag to the main tank in a good water flow position, unsightly but may be helpful.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How do you like those Tidal HOBs? I've had a Seachem Tidal 110 on my 75gal for 3-4yrs. Nice filter, just a big ugly with the pump portion being in the tank. They do fire off and start pumping much better than ACs. The other issue I find with my 110 is, no matter how I adjust it, it draws the majority of it's waster from the top skimmer and not the tube.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I have a well established, overstocked 65 gallon African Cichlid (all Mbunas) tank. I have been running a wet/dry (sump) with overflow in tandem with an Aquaclear 70 for the past 5 years. I am in the process of removing the sump and going to with 2 Seachem Tidal 110's (which will be more than enough filtration.)

I have already replaced the Aquaclear with one of the Tidals. I have two large bags of new ceramic rings in the Tidal and threw two more bags in the sump (to use with the other Tidal once installed). The new Tidal and sump have now been running together for a 2 full weeks.

I'm now just waiting to install the 2nd Tidal. The bio media in my sump is of a type that would not easily be transferred in sufficient quanity into the Tidal.

So opinions...is two weeks long enough with my current setup for sufficient bacteria colonization with the new bio media? Or should a wait another week or two?
I’ve done similar things to this and two weeks is probably good, but I would do 4 -5 to be certain. Bacteria doesn’t grow evenly throughout all of your filters. So you may get more seeding in one bag of rings than the other, but 4-5 weeks I think will guarantee sufficient seeding in all of the media

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store