New Filter ... Need Advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

court109

AC Members
Dec 30, 2002
Ottawa Canada
Visit site
How long does it take to estabish bacteria in a new filter when it is being run on an existing tank with the old filter? When can I remove the old filter?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I take it the new filter takes different media than the old one? If not, just swap media and call it good.

Otherwise, the bacteria start growing in the new media immediately--it just takes time for them to grow. Your best bet is to slowly remove the media from the old filter, encouraging the bacteria to grow in the new media (for example, if you have sponges, pull out one, wait a week, pull out the next...)

HTH

court109

AC Members
Dec 30, 2002
Ottawa Canada
Visit site
Thanks, guys

Now if I wanted to move the old filter to a new tank that I'm just setting up this weekend, will I be able to add fish right away since the bacteria is already established in the old filter?

ca

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You'll be able to add fish that equal the bio-load supported by the filter currently. Since bacteria spread out all over your tank, this level will be less than the total fish in the tank now. Can't say how much less, because that depends on a lot of variables.

However, many people do exactly this to setup new tanks, and then monitor the new tank closely for ammonia/nitrites. As long as you take care, and don't overstock the new tank, you should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store