New Fluval shaker tank is leaking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gazzerboon

Registered Member
Apr 26, 2023
Hi I’ve just brought a new fluval shaker 345L tank. I’ve only had it 3day and seem to be. It’s leaking from under the bottom of the tank where the inlet and outlet seal are. See pic.
I hope this does mean the tank is broken

IMG_0930.jpeg

IMG_0903.jpeg

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Welcome to AC!

While I'm not familiar with that particular brand of tank, the installation manual shows that there is supposed to be 3 o-rings on the intake stem and 3 o-rings on the output stem and if they are missing or were pinched when they were installed, this could be why it is leaking.

How snug did you tighten the ring nuts on the underside of the stems that hold them in position? The instructions say to just turn hand tight and not use any tools to avoid damaging the factory installed special fittings on tank openings.

You could try hand tightening the ring nuts a bit more but over tightening them may cause a worse leak.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you will need to empty the aquarium of all the water, remove the filter (if already attached), remove the ring nuts and the intake and output stems and check that the o-rings are not damaged.

Keep us posted on if this fixes the problem.

gazzerboon

Registered Member
Apr 26, 2023
Welcome to AC!

While I'm not familiar with that particular brand of tank, the installation manual shows that there is supposed to be 3 o-rings on the intake stem and 3 o-rings on the output stem and if they are missing or were pinched when they were installed, this could be why it is leaking.

How snug did you tighten the ring nuts on the underside of the stems that hold them in position? The instructions say to just turn hand tight and not use any tools to avoid damaging the factory installed special fittings on tank openings.

You could try hand tightening the ring nuts a bit more but over tightening them may cause a worse leak.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you will need to empty the aquarium of all the water, remove the filter (if already attached), remove the ring nuts and the intake and output stems and check that the o-rings are not damaged.

Keep us posted on if this fixes the problem.
Hi

Thank you for the advice. I’ve spoken to fulval and they have stated that the fault is a faulty bulkhead seal and the only way this fault can occur is if there was a defect in the manufacturing process. They have advised to speak to where I got the tank from and they should give a full refund or a replacement.
I have spoken the place I got it from and they was really helpful and are going to replace it for me, I pick up the new one on Friday.

Reactions: dudley

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Excellent and I'm glad they will replace the tank for you. It's a shame you got a leaker but I hope to see the new one set up when you get a chance.

Reactions: fishorama
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store