New geo

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Nice. What species?

WYite

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I don’t know much about geos, but I was told on another forum it’s a Geophagus brasiliensis
Yep. I see it now, lol. I kept coming back to a Gymnogeophagus species, but that didn't seem right either. I try to be as knowledgeable as I can about all cichlids, but I haven't kept a lot of South American species because I've always lived in places with harder water. It's hard to be really familiar with fish you've never kept or only seen in other people tanks or in pictures.

WYite

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Cute fishie.

Reactions: FishAddict74

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
How big of a tank is it in and I think gravel shreds geophageus gills and with tiger barbs seems like a disaster waiting to happen

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
And is there a African chiclid
In that tank ?!
Not all members of Geophagus and related genera are sand sifters. Even among those that aren't sand sifters, I don't think any are obligate piscivores and most have small enough mouths that you can keep them with surprisingly small fish (though not too small, I wouldn't keep them with anything as small as a neon). Fish that wouldn't survive with oscars, Parachromis, Crenicichla or other predatory cichlids do fine with similar-sized Geophagus and such. The barbs should be perfectly fine.

As for the identity of the yellow fish, my first guess would be that it's probably a smaller Central American species based on the spotting and barring on the caudal peduncle along the lateral line and the shape of the caudal fin. I have a couple possibilities in mind, though I may be way off base and maybe it is an African

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
How big of a tank is it in and I think gravel shreds geophageus gills and with tiger barbs seems like a disaster waiting to happen
It’s in a 75, there’s no Africans in the pic but I have a small Aulonocara from a batch of fry that was a cull due to a deformity but I kept him and it’s doing good. Tiger barbs are fine with medium semi aggressive cichlids, the other cichlid you saw is a herotilapia multispinosa aka rainbow cichlid. I also have a school of red eye tetra and brilliant rasbora, I know the rasbora might get eaten The substrate is a combo of sand gravel and river rock, in different places. Shouldn’t be a problem since he’s already eating from the water column

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store