new goldfish PLEASE READ i need help...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I bought a tiny Comet Goldfish yesterday and I was wondering if its ok to keep him in a one gallon bowl til monday when I get his new tank set up

Also do you have to cycle a tank before you put in a goldfish? ( I have a bacteria supplement and everything else I need)

Can you put any fish in with a goldfish? I would like to have a few other small fish or something if I could

Leginess

Flip, Flip, Flipadelphia!
Jul 7, 2010
Nebraska
i dont know aabout the 1 gallon bowl, ive never done that before, but yes, your tank must be cycled, if u want more fish, maybe just get some small non-aggressive fish, im not exactly sure, but thats my judgement. someone please correct me if im wrong

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Comet Goldfish can grow up to a foot long. He's cute now but in a year or so you will have to purchase a large tank, I agree with G3o. I was told it's at least 10 gallons of water per 2 inches of comet golfish

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
How big is the tank you're setting up? For a single goldfish, it should be 30 gallons minimum, I believe. Goldfish grow very large and produce huge amounts of waste; they require much larger tanks and higher filtration than most people realize. If you can't house the comet properly, it's best to return it to the store. Then, after your tank is set up and cycled, you can get smaller fish that will fit the tank.

Once we know the tank size and whether it will be heated, we'll be able to offer suggestions for appropriate fish. FYI, you probably don't want to ask the people at the store what to get; their job is to sell fish and they don't always care if the conditions are appropriate. Ask around here, and you'll get solid advice from people who want you to have happy, healthy fish and enjoy them for a long time!

:)

Last edited:

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
30g not enough, you will need a 5ft or more tank for him and a buddy, they like to be with other goldfish. goldfish grow huge, fancies can easily reach 8" or more, commons/comets/shubunkin can reach 18". the 1gallon bowl will be ok for a few days, but you will need to be doing at least 1 water change every day until hes upgraded.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Well I will be in college for the next four years and am only allowed a ten gallon, I also have a 40 gallon that would be great for two, I also want a calico goldfish, and he was a feeder so I REFUSE to take him back. My tank will be cycled, it will not be heated but the room temp stays a stable 64 so its perfect for him and I have a power filter, the set up was originally for a betta but goldfish are non aggressive so I figured I'd try that ... I want to do the best I can for him for now

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
A fast death at the hands of a predator is preferable to a slow death at the hands of an irresponsible keeper IMO. Neither the 10 gallon or the 40 gallon will be suitable for your comet long term. The 30 gallon per fish rule does not take into account the fact that goldfish are social creatures by nature. You're not doing the fish any favors with your plan, and in reality, it's only prolonging the fish's suffering.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Actually usually the rule is one gallon per inch of fish so a fourty would be plenty ... Maybe I'll just make a community tank... I'm usually very good with all animals ... I can't have any other pets right now :( I was thinking a betta ... And most sites say ten gallons is fine for them... He's a feeder so I can't take him back and releasing him is cruel the ten gallon is temporary ... My dad had two in a 50 with a bunch of other fish and they lived for more than ten years ( he added an oscar and it killed them)

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Actually, the one inch per gallon rule is complete bull dookey. It's clear that you've got your mind made up, and will happily disregard all the advice that doesn't agree with what you want to do. Given that the longest lived comet clocks in at over 40 years, 10 is no big accomplishment. I wish your fish the best of luck, as it will certainly need it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store