New goldfish tank advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I would rinse everything before using it. Having dried out isn't a bad thing.

Reactions: Andy3003

Andy3003

AC Members
Jan 3, 2019
So, just an update on the new tank... some some questions about cycling/transferring the fish into it.

As I had mentioned, we were getting a 2nd hand Fluval Roma 200L tank, and it's been cleaned out, gravel and decorations cleaned.
And then set it up again, and filled with water.
The water was treated with water conditioner, and I have the Fluval U4 filter running now.
The Biomax media, and the poly/carbon cartridges in it, didn't look the best at all, so I've ordered more, and waiting for them to arrive.
I have Fluval cycle, and should be getting a master test kit at the weekend.

So once I have new media and cartridges in the Filter, do you think I should just go into the 3 day Fluval cycle procedure, and add the fish after that? (to get them out of the small tank ASAP?)
If so, I could also move the internal filter out of the small tank, as well as decorations, to try and have some established bacteria in the new tank, in addition to the Fluval cycle.

Or do you think it would be necessary, to cycle the new tank properly, while keeping the fish in the small tank?
I've never cycled a tank before, and it sounds daunting, as well as time consuming. And I presume I would need to get ammonia, as well as the actual test kit?

In either scenario, would you recommend adding all the fish in one go, or one/two at a time? If I was taking the small filter out too, I think I would need to transfer them all together.

Thanks.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Can you fit the media from your old tank's filter into the new Fluval? I would do that and use any substrate and hardscape from the old tank in the new tank. All that stuff should have some beneficial bacteria on it and possibly enough for an instant cycle. No way of knowing until you can measure for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in PPM with your test kit.

Andy3003

AC Members
Jan 3, 2019
No, the little Marina filter doesn't have a media as such. It just has two flat slots, with a 'bio screen' in one, and a sponge/cartridge filter in the other slot.
There's no way to add it to the Fluval filter, (that I can see).
So that is why I thought I would put the filter in itself, and have it running, for at least a while, until there is enough bacteria in the Fluval filter.

I have natural looking gravel in the new tank, and the old tank has bright coloured blue gravel, so I definitely wasn't planning on putting that in!
But I can put in the couple of artificial plants, and the rock decorations into the new tank.

Are you familiar with 'Fluval cycle'?
The directions for a new tank are:
25ml per 40L on Day 1
10ml per 40L on Day 2
10ml per 40L on Day 3
.... So I presume I add the fish on Day 4? It's not too clear.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That would work too! Just run your old filter on the new tank along with the new filter. Put the old gravel in a panty hose, sock or mesh bag and then place it in the new tank.

Reactions: Andy3003

Andy3003

AC Members
Jan 3, 2019
Thanks, yeah good idea for the gravel. So I can bring in that bacteria, without actually mixing that gravel in.
I think I'll start doing all that on Monday. I won't have the new media for the Fluval filter, or the test kit until then.

So I'll start the directions for the Fluval Cycle bottle then, and put in the fish and old aquarium bits and pieces on Day 4.
Between now and then, do you think it's a good idea to put some flake food in the new tank, to try and generate some ammonia for the new bacteria?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If I was using the old filter and a sock of gravel from the old tank, I'd stock the new tank right after you set it up with dechlorinated water.

Andy3003

AC Members
Jan 3, 2019
Ok, so you mean just transfer them in together, without doing 3 days of the Fluval cycle bottle, to get some more bacteria in the new filter?

With or without that fluval cycle, it will be Monday before I have the new media, and testing kit, so I can either transfer fish/gravel/filter/decorations all straight in on Monday.... or else, add in the Fluval cycle for 3 days before that.
Which do you think would be best?

The new tank got filled yesterday, and water treatment added in. The Fluval filter is running, but the biomax media, and poly/carbon cartridges are very old looking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store