New member introduction

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ron20

AC Members
Jun 6, 2011
Orange, Ca
Hello all,
This is my first post to say hello, and introduce myself.
I am just starting out here, to set up a tank for my 2 kids to enjoy and learn about basics of tropical fish. I am planning on doing a basic community tank, with the typical assortment of Tetra's, Danio's, Platys, Swordtails, etc.

I have purchased a used 30 gallon tank/stand from Craigslist, that came with hood/light, a full sized bottom filter, and single powerhead, a large bubble wand, airpump, plastic plants, and a couple of decorative structure "rocks".
enough small gravel, and medium rocks, to go about 2 1/2" to 3" deep, with some larger rocks for habitat.

The 50w heater that came with it I believe is too small, as I have read that it should be a 150w.

I welcome any and all suggestions as to how the best way to set up the tank, arrange the habitat, set-up the equipment, choose the types and quantity of fishes that are compatible, etc.

As for the powerhead, it says it is submersible. so does that mean the ENTIRE thing can be underwater, with the powercord being in contact with the water ? or, does the top of the powerhead need to be above the water ?

same question for heaters,...
Does submersible mean the thermostat can be completely submerged ? or should the "Head" of the heater remain above the waterline ?
(since I will probably be buying a new heater,... is there any particular brand to avoid or gravitate towards ?

What about the fish ?
I'd like to have a fairly large variety of fish types.
How many of each type ? how many fish total for a healthy environment?

What other things need to be considered in the equations ?

Thanks, (I can use all the help I can get here)
Ron

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC! Starting a thread in the General Freshwater Forum with the above details will allow more folks to see it and be able to help. Can you possibly tell the model and make of the heater and powerhead you have?

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
Welcome to AC Ron.

Ron20

AC Members
Jun 6, 2011
Orange, Ca
Welcome to AC! Starting a thread in the General Freshwater Forum with the above details will allow more folks to see it and be able to help. Can you possibly tell the model and make of the heater and powerhead you have?
Thanks for the reply, and I did also post in the beginners freshwater forum.
The powerhead is a "Penguin 1140", and the heater is a "Penn-Plax, Therma-Flow, SUB".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store