New Mudskipper Vivarium!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Do you have a scientific name for your mudskipper? Its great that you're doing research, and that will make it a lot easier to get some solid data on it. Chances are, that tank will not be big enough to house it long-term.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
okay... I couldn't get my camera to connect to the computer, but here's a sketch of my setup... About an hour after reading Mokomon's response, I added aquarium salt (a small amount) and my skippers are spending twice as much time in the water now (and beautifully displaying their fins)

I have also done 7-10 more hours research on skippers, and finally found the kid in the petstore who knew how to take care of them...

any other advice appreciated? What do people think about feeding them guppy fry? How many crickets a day should they be eating (currently it's about 1-2, though I have never seen them eat)
Aquarium salt will do nothing to create brackish conditions. Do you have the right salt and a hydrometer or refractometer? What SG are you running it at?

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
okay... I couldn't get my camera to connect to the computer, but here's a sketch of my setup... About an hour after reading Mokomon's response, I added aquarium salt (a small amount) and my skippers are spending twice as much time in the water now (and beautifully displaying their fins)

I have also done 7-10 more hours research on skippers, and finally found the kid in the petstore who knew how to take care of them...

any other advice appreciated? What do people think about feeding them guppy fry? How many crickets a day should they be eating (currently it's about 1-2, though I have never seen them eat)

I HIGHLY recommend the book
"Brackish-Water Fishes, an aquariast's giude to identification, care & husbandry"

Neale Monks, Editor

It has 21 pages of info JUST on Skippers!

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
You want to get your SG in the area of 1.005-1.015
I keep mine at 1.010, which works out to 1/4 C "Instant Ocean" per gal of water

TetrisAttack

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I know the salt I have is for freshwater fish, but the dude in the petstore said that's what they'd been using (and I've seen on other blogs that the indian/vietnamese mudskippers can be raised freshwater?)

I thought that it would still raise salinity effectively, however, I won't have a measure until later tonight or tomorrow. I'll check everything and post.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
There are some species of mudskippers that live in freshwater, though unless they were caught and kept in freshwater, using brackish water is probably a better idea.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
If you are going to do a true brackish setup, you'll need to use a real marine mix - aquarium salt won't cut it, and could possibly do more harm than good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store