new peacock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
well i finally got a peacock mantis. man this thing is beautiful. hes about 5 inches long, and doesnt seem to be bothered by people at all. i was kinda worried that he might be shy but hes anything but. hes not in his permenant home yet, so that might still change. ill try to get a pic of him later this evening.

gobygirl2

AC Members
Feb 19, 2005
southern Illinois
are they dangerous?

are they dangerous to the human hand? I have seen marine documentary shows with them and they are very colorful but I hear they have a killer set of claws on them.Where do you get them?

zog

AC Members
Dec 7, 2004
Some kinds are dangerous to the human hand, yes. There are some species of mantis shrimp that are nicknamed "thumb splitters". A few of the larger species also have the ability to break aquarium glass. Two different killing methods are used by mantises. Some are strikers, and will bash snail shells and hermits into peices and then eat their flesh. Some strikers can hit with force equal to a .22 bullet. The other method is slicing, and these shrimp have been known to cut a six inch fish in half with a single blow. These are very cool animals, but they can really be a drag if you end up with them in a nice reef tank and they kill your fish and cleaner inverts.
check this out! http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/04/21_shrimp.shtml

Last edited:

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
i bought mine at a pet shop called uncle bills in indianapolis on my honeymoon. hes in a 12 gallon tank right now with just him a little rock and a really poor black and white hermit that was eating my snails. the hermit has been in there for 2 days now and hes still alive. i took some pics today that were pretty neat but got to take the camera to my sisters to download them, hopefully i will be able to do that tommorrow. ive been looking for one for quite some time, but i didnt want to mail order one. so after about 6 months id say, i have finally gotten it. i dont know if its typical mantis behavior, but mine comes right to the from of the tank when im looking into it. and im pretty sure hes just staring right back at me.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Beautiful, I was going to ask wether you got a spearer or a smasher, but the picture answered that question. His tank is/will be acrylic, right??

Last edited:

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
it MOST CERTAINLY will be. right now he is in a jbj nano. im having a 20 gallon acrylic made so i can plumb it into my 135 so i dont have to worry about seperate water changes and stuff. i think that will help keep the peacocks tank alot more stable for him, and i dont think that it will hurt the water quality of the 135 much. i didnt really have a tank made for it when i got it, so i took water,live sand, a little live rock and a sponge out of the 135 to make his tank. that should keep it from cycling and doing any damage, at least i hope so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store