new pics - True red devil and salvini

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
My 3 inch true amphilophus labiatus... not the everyday hybrids you see in most lfs but a pureblood fat lipped red devil:

My 3.5 inch male salvini... it appears that he is the red variant... his parents were decent looking, but nothing like him.

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
nice looking fish. that has to be one of the best salvini's i've seen. especially for a 3" one. good luck with them.

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
here's a pic of him at 2 inches

As you can see, the red isn't as bright or as extensive. Just now, he's got ALOT more red, but I think it's just him. I've had many others, and he's the only one that I've ever observed such a drastic change in colour if the fish was oer 1.5 inches. from 1-2 inches is when I've observed the greatest change in colour...

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
Very nice fish. Where did you get the Labiatus?

inxs

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Litchfield, CT
www.picturetrail.com
I have noticed that several SA/CA cichlids have gotten much better coloration shortly after being brought home from the LFS.
My salvinis have colored in much more red and blue since I first got them - though nothing like Matts, however they are only around 2".

I would attribute that to a much larger tank, better diet, better waterconditions, more hidingplaces and generally less stress.

Unfortunatly I think this observation makes it even harder to predict the quality of a fish in a dealers tank. Has anyone else noticed that?

Also what are the conditions of your salvini? (tanksize, ph, gh and feeding)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store