New SAP "Amazon" Puffer... Should I medicate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Xabbusan

AC Members
Feb 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I got an amazon puffer last weekend from my LFS. They are a great store (Aquarium Co-op) and they do their own quarantines w/internal parasite treatments before they put fish on the floor, especially wild caught.

The puffer I got was their last one. It was pretty skinny, but active, so I went ahead and grabbed it. It acclimated great, started hunting and eating the ramshorn snails in my tank within 10 minutes. 12 hours later and all 30-40 of them were gone lol.

It is doing great so far. No issues that I have noticed. So, should I treat with ParaGuard as a preventative/just in case measure since these guys are wild caught? Or should I not worry about it unless I start seeing symptoms?

(Same question I guess for pea puffers [in a different tank]. I am not 100% sure if these are wild caught or captive bred. I think they are captive bred though... they are also doing fine. 3 of them wiped out about 100 snails within 24 hours of introduction to the tank)

Thanks!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Even if the store does quarantine I like to do my own quarantine too, different water parameters and transport could cause stress and that could cause other issues. Is he in a QT or a main display?

That said I only medicate if absolutely necessary. Meds themselves are rough on fish, no need to put them through that stress for no reason and they (and whatever you are treating) can build a tolerance to it making it useless in the future.

Xabbusan

AC Members
Feb 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
He is in his main tank, a 55 gallon. He is the only and first fish in there so I didn't do a QT tank. Here is a quick and dirty cellphone video I took of him on his first day. He has definitely bulked up a little from a week ago, looking at him now.

That is kind of what I was thinking... I didn't want to medicate him for no reason, but I have also read that you should follow up parasite treatments at home after picking them up.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
If he did a complete round of treatment I wouldn't do anymore unless you see a need to, but that is me, others may not agree. Do what you feel most comfortable with. Did Aquarium co-op tell you to do more treatments? If so then yes, I'd listen to them. 1st thing I see in the video...are you wearing a poo shirt? lol

Reactions: Xabbusan

Xabbusan

AC Members
Feb 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
LMAO!!!! I know bad reflections. I had the lights turned down during acclimation. It is actually a poo pillow sitting on my computer chair. haha :D

**aquarium co-op did not tell me to do more treatment when I bought him. So, I will just keep a close eye on him (not hard to do cuz he is so fun to watch).

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
lol future tip - turn the lights off in the room to avoid reflections ;) Good luck to you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store