new setup (Pictures)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fahad1028

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
IL
I added sand in my tank last night but didn't like how it looked. I had a trench thing going on and didn't like it so I changed it to this. I was going for a shoreline look where the beach goes down into the water. I am happy with how it turned out, just need the water to clear out now. I am going to buy a few large pebbles to place in there as well later on. Let me know what you guys think.

The deepest part in the back is 5.5 inches deep. I plan on keeping it stirred every other week.

DSC06395.JPG DSC06396.JPG DSC06398.JPG DSC06399.JPG DSC06400.JPG

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
It looks nice! I agree with adding some alrger stones, kinda like mini-boulders on the shore. Nice, keep us updated.

On a side note...you might want to think about a new stand, it's not good for the tank to be hanging off the edges like that...You don't want a wet floor.

Fahad1028

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
IL
Thanks! I will post more pics once I add some large stones. As far as a larger stand goes, I am working on that. Just trying to find the right size and height. If I can't find the right stand, I will be sticking some wood pieces on the sides where its hanging off for extra support.

reefdiver

AC Members
Oct 1, 2010
Arkansas
Real Name
Rene
you need to be carefull with that much sand in the back. I have read that it can cause toxic gas bubbles to build up. Im not sure what they call them but other ppl will comment on that.

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
Thats really cool looking. I love the shoreline look.

What reefdiver said about the gas pockets, maybe you could get some Malaysian trumpet snails to keep the sand aerated.

knight4th

AC Members
Jan 29, 2010
add some blackworms, a few snails, or anything that is a detrivore, i have several tanks that are DSBs all have blackworms snails, and a few athropods that are detritivores, my longest running DSB is going on 5 years now and i have yet to stir the sand bed, never have any problems with disease or poor water quality either

FlyinRyan

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Very cool shoreline idea, I like that!

Fahad1028

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
IL
Where can I get blackworms from or the snails? The only fish store I have here is petco and i don't think they carry live blackworms or snails.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I changed the background and I am going to add some nice sized pebbles/boulders, maybe a small driftwood this week. Once I do, I will add more pictures.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store