New shrimp, please help ID.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SharonErickson84

Registered Member
Jul 16, 2019
So yesterday I adopted 6 shrimp. Before getting them I was told they were ghost shrimp. They all seem very happy and healthy in the new tank. They are cleaning, swimming, and just being shrimp. However, the more time I spend with them the more I realized they don’t seem to have the coloration of a ghost shrimp. I know that some can have red bands around their antennas and legs but my guys have a tint of orange/red/yellow that runs The whole top of their body, no bands anywhere, it is a solid coloration. However, the rest of body is clear. I have others that are a dark grey color. Smaller in size, yet still transparent, just really dark. Can somebody please look at the pics and tell me what I have in my tank. Thank you everyone. Sorry, the photo does not show the reddish color all that well but it was the best in could get.

06EA0BF2-F982-45FE-9993-4420168F169D.jpeg

7C53F07C-F008-4F76-8BB6-CE1C72F6E883.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well I'm no shrimp expert, but I believe those could be "mutt" neocaridina or caridina shrimp...tending back to the "wild" forms of either...but I've never kept any of the ghost shrimp...There are several species sold as "ghosts". Most don't breed AFAIK...

SharonErickson84

Registered Member
Jul 16, 2019
Well I'm no shrimp expert, but I believe those could be "mutt" neocaridina or caridina shrimp...tending back to the "wild" forms of either...but I've never kept any of the ghost shrimp...There are several species sold as "ghosts". Most don't breed AFAIK...
Thank you! I had a feeling they were not ghost shrimp but for the life of me could not figure out what they were. I thought they may have been a mutt breed but I did not know what the parents could have been. Thank you for the info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store