New Shrimp Tank Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Huzzah1981

AC Members
Mar 20, 2009
So maybe I was just worrying too much and will be fine with whatever sponge I put on the intake. I think for now I'm going to go with the coarse sponge to keep some decent flow going for the Vampire Shrimp. If I don't start to see little shrimplettes in the next couple months I'll just have to change to the elite I guess.

The AC20 seems awefully small and gentle, but with so many people advocating only using sponge filters on a shrimp tank I felt there was more than enough reason to worry that a course sponge still wouldn't be enough to protect the intake.

I'm a bit of an overfiltering addict... I admit that even with my fear of the AC20 sucking up shrimplettes I've thought about upgrading to an AC30 to put a sponge on to keep more flow in the tank. My 36 Gallon has an AC70 and an XP3 running... I love that crystal clear water.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
The point is rather moot if you're thinking vampire shrimp anyway. I understand them to need brackish water for raising young. They're one of those shrimp that live in fresh water, but close to salt water, and their young go through their early stages in the brackish in-between areas. If you plan to breed them, you'll need a separate tank to put them in when the babies are ready to drop. You probably don't need to worry about a sponge on your regular tank. Just put a sponge filter into your breeding tank.

If you get something like cherry shrimp that breed easily in fresh water, then you can put a sponge on your main tank filter.

Huzzah1981

AC Members
Mar 20, 2009
The point is rather moot if you're thinking vampire shrimp anyway. I understand them to need brackish water for raising young. They're one of those shrimp that live in fresh water, but close to salt water, and their young go through their early stages in the brackish in-between areas. If you plan to breed them, you'll need a separate tank to put them in when the babies are ready to drop. You probably don't need to worry about a sponge on your regular tank. Just put a sponge filter into your breeding tank.

If you get something like cherry shrimp that breed easily in fresh water, then you can put a sponge on your main tank filter.
I was planning on putting the Vampire Shrimp in with the other shrimp (leaning towards Yellow... online pictures make them look more striking) but I'm only really concerned with the Neocaridina shrimp breeding, not the Vampire. I just want to make sure the German Blue Ram and Angelfish don't harass him... or her...

Tonight... I'll be taking the drill to my frozen filter sponges; Hopefully soon I'll be ready to move the shrimp in!

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
Wait you're putting the fish and all the shrimp together??? If so, I would assume your angels would make short work of those expensive little shrimp snacks...

Huzzah1981

AC Members
Mar 20, 2009
Wait you're putting the fish and all the shrimp together??? If so, I would assume your angels would make short work of those expensive little shrimp snacks...
No shrimp snacks! My plan right now is:

36 Gallon- 1 Angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 Flash Pleco, 6 Harlequin Rasbora, 6 Peppered Cory, and 4 Ghost shrimp

10 Gallon- 1 Vampire Shrimp, 12-100 yellow or snowball shrimp assuming that they breed like they should

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store