New sorority/ community tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
Okay so right now I have about 5-6 female guppies, 3-4 male guppies, one red female betta, a pair of mickey mouse platies, and a heater. I need to find a power head for the eclipse 29 gallon hood, and lots of plants. Any suggestions as to what more I should add??? SOOOO PSYCHED!:nilly::nilly:

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
jpappy has good advice. that one female you have in there now is most likely thinking she's queen of the tank, and adding others could end badly if you add them without first removing her, re-arranging the tank, adding the new females, then adding back the original female.

i personally wouldn't add any more livestock though, as those guppies are going to breed like crazy and the betta won't be able to eat all the fry, especially if the tank is going to be heavily planted.

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
I wont heavily plant the tank, maybe a few moss balls and water wisteria is all. Just to make it looks more natural. Well my mom really pissed me off today so I can't go to the pet store because she hasn't come home yet.

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
Still, with that many livebearers, one girl won't be able to take care of all those fry. It sounds pretty well stocked, so I don't think you should add anything else. You'll want to either add them all at the same time and watch your water parameters ,or add say all the female guppies first, wait a day or two for them to settle and to make sure the water params are doing well, then add the male guppies, wait 2 or so days and check the water params, add the platies, wait and then add the girl. By adding her last, you'll know all the others are settled and know the tank well, where the hiding spots are, etc. Also, when you add her last, she'll feel like she's entering the other fish's territories, so she might be a bit more docil and calm when first introduced to them all.

oh, and pictures would be awesome :D

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
Well my mom really pissed me off today so I can't go to the pet store because she hasn't come home yet.
so walk, take the bus, ask friends/other family members for a ride...... but don't be mad at your mom because her schedule conflicts with your hobby.

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
I'm not allowed to walk about 20 miles away for my hobby, my friends could care less about my hobby. I'm not mad at her because of her job, it's just I was having a bad day that day. But I'm going to be taking out the guppies as they populate, putting them in my pond.

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
Asianleful, I'm pretty sure this might sound like a deja vu, but putting tropical creatures in ponds that will become cold in the winter is not a good idea. you are responsible for the lives of your pets, and tossing the overflow into a pond doesn't sounds responsible IMO, because how would you keep them warm during the winter and protect them from predators in the summer? I know some people with guppies will sell or give their fry to a good responsible LFS for store credits or money.

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
Well all my fry and adult guppies have survived the winter. They didn't change color or anything, just look more like mosquito fish with patterns. I have a heater in there that they surround if gets to cold.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
surviving and thriving are two totally separate things. i could survive in a lot of scenarios but i sure as heck wouldn't be comfortable!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store