New Tank additions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
Just purchased 25 wild caught Rummynose Tetras for my 55!

I love Aquabid!
Have bought from seller Snookin21 previously and all the wild caught fish are amazing!

Can't wait to get these in with my Wild cardinals and cories!

TetraFreak

Dec 14, 2005
shipping from So FLA to N Alabama was $56

Just waiting for the weather to adjust and warm a bit.

TetraFreak

Dec 14, 2005

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Very nice!
A couple of observations, please don't take them as criticism...
- It is very risky to add new fish straight into the main tank. Too high a risk of introducing serious diseases. Different people see this differently. For me, at least 1 month in QT, longer if there is suspicion or evidence of actual problems.
- If you add more plants (or some plants attached to taller driftwood or rocks), the fish will feel more at ease and reward you by coloring up beautifully. This is particularly true of the rummy noses and Colombians (with "O"). By the way, it seems your Crypts are growing fairly well.
- You may consider a black background for the tank. Easily done quickly and cheaply. The living things and ornaments will stand out and you won't see equipment and others.

I don't have any rummy noses right now, but I have had them in the past, and would love to get some again.
Below, my 75g with Colombias, SDs and neons (+ copies and bushy noses).
Cheers!

IMG_0356 Crop.jpg

Reactions: dudley

TetraFreak

Dec 14, 2005
F FJB

Thanks for the info...

I have more planting to do as There is a large amount of Anacharis to still be added as the back wall and hiding space. Other items will be added as I get them in as well.

As to these fish, I have bought wilds from this seller before and they are all great quality. It's just a matter of not enough time in the day.

Have a Happy Hump Day!

-TF

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Very nice!
A couple of observations, please don't take them as criticism...
- It is very risky to add new fish straight into the main tank. Too high a risk of introducing serious diseases. Different people see this differently. For me, at least 1 month in QT, longer if there is suspicion or evidence of actual problems.
I would like to add that it's also possible that your tank may also have something that new fish can't cope with that your existing fish have no problems with.

The advice I've always gotten from fish club members with years of experience is to not only quarantine new fish for 30 days to 60 days depending on how they are doing and eating plus to slowly add in water from the 'main' tank over a couple weeks to see if the new fish continue to do well. The fish in your main tanks may have different bacteria or organisms that the new fish haven't been introduced to and that can manifest quickly.

Oh and nice looking tank!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Good advice FJB & Dee! I'm especially cautious with wild caught, farmed & LFS fish. Less so with hobbyist bred or long kept fish, I've been known to skip QT if I know & trust the person...but it is a risk.

TF, I'm a tiny bit worried about the small rummies & & larger but still juvenile other tetras. Keep a close eye on them. I've "heard" of snookin. They've been around for years & get good reviews for quality fish. Maybe they'd been QT'd already? Some sellers do, many don't. I wouldn't count on it if they didn't say so.

Good luck, keep up the pics & progress

Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store