New tank help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mattfraser

AC Members
Nov 29, 2004
Hi

I have a 4ft tank. Sand, rocks, plants and 1 piece of wood (bought from a aquarium shop)
The water has been in for a week now and tested the water today. The ammonium and nitrates are fine but the ph is slighly high at 9. Maybe just needs a little more time to settle.
My question is that i have very small (almost dust) something all round my tank. The only thing i can think of is the rocks. I got them from a beach. They have been boiled for days and scrubbed till my arm aches but is this enough?
Is there anything else that it can be? perhaps still the sand still needs time to settle?
I have a fluval 404 filter so if my tank doesn't clear up then it has to be something in my tank rather than the sand taking time to settle.
Any ideas, many thanks

Matt

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Have you started the cycling process by adding ammonia? I don't see anything to indicate this...

The rocks and sand--what type are they? Since you got them from a beach, odds are good they are some type of aragonite/calcium, which means they will raise the pH, KH and GH of the water significantly. Test them: take one out of the tank, and pour on some vinegar. If there's fizzing and bubbles (even if you have to hold it up to the ear t hear it), it means this is the cause. Not always a problem--depends on what fish you want to keep. If you're hoping for tetras, it will be a hard go. Many african cichlids will appreciate the water you have though!

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
I tis generally just dust or little particle too fine to be picked up by your filter or slighlty too heavy. Did you rinse you filter insert before putting it in?
Wait till you do a water change before you get worried. If it doesnt clear up after a few water changes or vacuumings then you can get a little worried.

Also do what oriongirl said too.

mattfraser

AC Members
Nov 29, 2004
Hi

Oriongirl - Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what kind of rock they are. All i know is that other people have used the same rock in their fish tanks, no idea if they had any problems though. I did try the vinegar tip and the rocks seems okay, no fizzing or anything - good sign hopefully. As to what fish i hope to keep - Main ones will be Clown Loaches, Goarames, Black red fin shark (if i can find one) mollies, platies, tetras. Nothing to delicate although i know the clown loaches can be a little sensitive.

Labont865 - Thank you for your reply. My filter was completely cleaned and rinsed when i got it along with everything else. The water has only been in a week so maybe i'm panicking and i should leave it a while longer. If in a coulple of days it doesn't clear then i shall do a water change and see if that helps.

Cheers for taking the time to help me.

Matt

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store