New tank - Plant/algae Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
First off, this is a great forum, and I've learned a tremendous amount already!

I have just set up an aquarium, with only live plants in it for now, and have had rampant algal (i think?) growth. :( So here I am asking for your guidance and help.

This past sunday (3/30/03) I finally got around putting the tank together, and on Monday I added 2 live plants (I need to figure out what kinds they are, I apologize for not having their species names yet). The water seemed cloudy on both Mon and Tues, and on late Tues and Weds I noticed whispy cottony, grey algal growth on the plants and surrounding gravel.

The tank is 20 gallons - 10"d by 30"w by 14" h
I have a 65W light (JBJ Formossa)
Ebo Jager 125w heater
and am temporarily using an old Whisper filter (I used it about 4-5 years ago in an old tank setup) temporarily to provide aeration and circulation in the tank. It will be replaced soon.

How can I combat this, and can anyone offer help as to diagnosing the problem?

I will try to post pics within this post, but if i have problems doing so, please take a look @ my imagestation album. you can click on the pics @ imagestation to see a larger version.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
thanks for the links wetman! I know how I'll be spending today and tonight...:D

also, extra info on my tank:

tank temp was set at 77 degrees on my heater. both of my stick on thermometers read about 78+ degrees. I'll be picking up a mercury or other type of therm. this week.

I have been checking the ph, which has been hovering around 7.0 or 7.2. I need to get a new pH guide to better check the color... and I still need practice adjusting the pH.

last, I still need to get bacteria and cycle the tank. If anyone happens to know a source of pure amonia in the East bay or bay area, please let me know. I'm going to check my local shops tonight.

EDIT
ok, one more thing:
I realize the water level is low. i was advised that by doing so, the waterfall from the filter would make a bigger splash and help aerate the tank. as for the thick layer of gravel, I was advised to use between 3-4". At the bottom I have natural gravel/sand. But for some reason, I prefer black gravel, so I was told to put the black btwn the natural and the tank, and then put a 1.5-2" layer of the black gravel on top of the 1.5" deep natural gravel (a better substrate for the plants to grasp onto). if this is a bad idea, feel free to let me know before its too late...just dont flame me too hard

thanks for reading!

Last edited:

thalassic park

AC Members
Apr 3, 2003
Perth, Western Australia
Visit site
Hi,
I would probably not bother with the pH. If it gets low < 6.5 then you need some KH booster. pH > 7.0 is easier to maintain and most fish accept a level of pH 7.0 - 8.0. You run more danger to the balance of the tank by adding acid to lower the pH.
Secondly for your ammonia source, a small sprinkle of fish food each day is the safest way to encourage the food for the bacteria. Protein's are amino acids and as these breakdown in the water (as in a fishes stomach via digestion) Nitrogen compounds are formed. i.e. pH < 7.0 becomes NH4+ (ammonium) or pH > 7.0 NH3 is formed (ammonia).

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
I finally got through to the LFS today, and was simply told to reduce the amount of light I'm giving the aquarium...I was over 12 hours, more like 16 due to work...so I will cut that dramatically. They recommended 6 hours, so I will try that.

does anyone have suggestions for removing the algae from the plants themselves? use paper towels to wipe it off?

again, thanks

RENEGADE

the one and only RENEGADE
Mar 19, 2003
Los Angeles CA
Visit site
IMO a chinese algea eater would keep it in check (they preety tuff IME)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store