New tank stock ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nerrad

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Hi all.
I am currently cycling my second tank.
This tank is 70 litre with a sand substrate. It’s filtered and heated with some bog wood and a couple of plants
Amazon swords, Java fern, Java moss, moss ball and a plant I have no idea what it is lol.

I’m toying with what to stock it with once it’s cycled. I already have a 40 litre tank that’s established with glow light tetra and black neon tetra and a couple of a Amano shrimp.

any ideas on what I should stock the new tank with? I do prefer smaller fish and was thinking about guppies but can’t decide. I will also need a clean up crew so any suggestions welcome

thanks

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I like bottom feeders :) Depending on the dimensions of your tank, I would think about kuhli loaches or corydoras, say 6 or 8 of either, all the same species. Rasboras are nice &/or maybe a pair of honey gouramis for an Asia theme...again it depends on tank dimensions.

I'm not a livebearer fan so maybe someone else will help. If you get both males & females your tank may get overstocked faster than you might think...

Nerrad

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Hi fishorama, thanks for the ideas,the tank is 2ft wide by 1 ft high by 30cm depth. When I researched the guppy’s it put me off knowing how fast they reproduce as I don’t want to end up with an overstocked tank. I do love my amano shrimp so may go for more but possibly the cherry shrimp. I have painted the back of the tank black so looking to add some colour to it as it looks boring at the moment. I have also got more plants on order too

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Well guppies and swordtails is always one option - if this tank is longer than tall apistogramma is an old favorite. Another interesting dwarf cichlid are laetacara araguaiae.
-
If you go the cory route - i love pygmy cory - 15 or so might be fun group but they would much appreciate some plants and hiding areas. Kuhli loaches are another option.
-
Hum... there might be 1000's of options not sure we should list them all - ok one more - a nice mix of ember tetra and kubotai rasbora would be fun - red and green zig zaggy about. Conversely there are ruby tetra.... lots of options.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store