New Tetra Lifeguard medication effective or not?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
It's been a while since the last time I created a thread..

I have been thinking about getting this product. There are no reviews of the product yet, I might want to try..

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=20402

It claims that it can treat for external bacterial, fungal, viral, and parasitic disease all in one. Sounds good..but is it proven effective at all?

So since I am quarantining some new german blue rams at the moment, I just so happen to pass by this medication at drfosters&smith.com while researching about fish diseases for the heck of it.

Found out the quarantined GBR's coloration is somewhat discolored, so I suspect the fishes has internal parasites. The fish I have are not showing any visible signs of ich, cotton, or fungus on fins or body;and I already used Parasite clear....however should I buy Lifeguard though? I may try going to risk it by buying new fish(that may be sick or small fish that have ich) to restock small tetras, ottos anyhow. I'll let you all know how well it works if I ever order it.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Hey jmhart, hows it going? The water conditions are pretty much instant-cycled, a lot of beneficial bacteria from my other filters released during initial setup but anyway, pH 7.6, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10. There are two GBR's in the quarantine, just got them yesterday evening with a 5 gal. One seems to have good coloration although the other has no good coloration. So I was comparing both their behaviors and the more colorful one moved about in the tank while the one that wasn't colorful stayed in one spot all day. So I truly believe the discolored one is sick alright.

Hey coach, I don't use the light since the light can stress them especially when they are new, so I didn't use the light during the night and they still did not color up.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William

pKaz

Algae Grower
Mar 25, 2009
Northern, DE
I have used Lifeguard before and it did absolutely nothing to my parasite problem, and I followed the directions verbatim. Save your money.

GBRs can also have very little color, it is a result of inbreeding. Or maybe to young to show color.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
I have used Lifeguard before and it did absolutely nothing to my parasite problem, and I followed the directions verbatim. Save your money.

GBRs can also have very little color, it is a result of inbreeding. Or maybe to young to show color.
Ah so now we have 2 people that dislike LifeGuard.. My GBR's are pretty young. And thanks, I will not waste my money on this new product.
I agree...much simpler reasons for the lack of color than any infection. Stress from the move being the biggest. My rams were pretty washed out a few days after getting them but colored right up.
I will see if the sick-looking GBR one will color up :) Well, I used parasite clear already. Heard good reviews from it. So I'm going to continue to use it... :eek:

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Anymore of you?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store