New Tetra Lifeguard medication effective or not?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
A little bit. =[ Colorful one died for no reason, colorless one lived strong and eating, got another.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Okay, bump, updates anybody? So far I only have 2 people that found this product useless. Anymore of you?

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
I only used it for finrot, but I am not sure on the safety of ingredients, they sound carcinogenic to me. Did you try micro -rab food to help with their color?

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
No, I'm just using pristine water. Anyhow, bump again, anymore?

tcarswell

Bichir guy
Jan 7, 2009
Sacramento California
I prefer para guard...

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
So, is para-guard a good substitute? Anymore Tetra lifeguard comments folks?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
IMO, your pH is way off for GBR. I cant believe so much difficulties with GBR.

I used tobring in 100-200 from SE Asia and very rarely had an issue as long as they arrive alive. Would have GBR pairing off in holding tank like there is no tomorrow.

I am sure some would say fish would adapt but adaptability has wide range of factors which can contribute to massive losses and/or complications. Another word different fish w/i same species and even same batch can react differently to extreme water condition.

Provide ideal condition for fish being kept in q/t (check lfs /breeder's water first).
Once well acclimated to ideal water and if keeping ideal condition is cost ineffective or difficult to prepare, then you shoud slowly change the water condition over long time (I would rather provide ideal conditions).

Is your tap high in pH/GH? And if you are using common pH test kit, pH of your water could be higher than 7.6 unless you are using high range kit.

When fish are in quarantine in extreme conditions, unnecessary medication itself/themselves are stress factors which can contribute to further stress and may lead to death.
As you said, colorful one die of no reason.
There is always reasons, we just dont know for sure. Thus at least we can rule out water condition as possible culpit when given ideal condition.

GBR was selctively bred and thus stronger and colorful than common ram (at least shipped lot better than common blue/gold ram).
GBR would breed like crazy when kept in ideal conditions and with minimal complications and/or diseases.

Cut out all these med. I believe this med is more of disinfectant (oxidant) similar to potassium permanganate.
Personally I would not use such chemicals for prophylactic purposes. And I also dont believe one cures all. It tells you right on the warning that this is not for scaleless fish. This should tell you it can very potent and even toxic to some fish.
I may use it as sterilizing agent for nets, dried tanks, etc. Even then I may not even used it when I can sun dried my equipments/apparatus.

BTW, only thing i will use for prophylactic purpose is ideal water condition for specific fish.

If you want to try another batch, check supplier's water for pH, NH3, NO2. Sometimes Ill bring my own test kit to verify the condition being kept. And go from there.
Pardon me if I was too harsh but i am very frustrated with so many GBR losses and complications Ive been reading on few forums.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
IMO, your pH is way off for GBR. I cant believe so much difficulties with GBR.
My pH is fine, 7.6 is not dangerous for rams although I know they prefer softer water around 7.0. My main display tank has a pH of 6.5-7.0. This is temporary, just a quarantine tank with my regular tap water.
I used tobring in 100-200 from SE Asia and very rarely had an issue as long as they arrive alive. Would have GBR pairing off in holding tank like there is no tomorrow.
You didn't have any stress issues or DOA's at all? Well, heh you are fortunate...

I am sure some would say fish would adapt but adaptability has wide range of factors which can contribute to massive losses and/or complications. Another word different fish w/i same species and even same batch can react differently to extreme water condition.
Fish can adapt, you have to acclimate them carefully and slowly.

Provide ideal condition for fish being kept in q/t (check lfs /breeder's water first).
Once well acclimated to ideal water and if keeping ideal condition is cost ineffective or difficult to prepare, then you shoud slowly change the water condition over long time (I would rather provide ideal conditions).
Yeah, acclimation. Ideal conditions are in my main display tank. The LFS's tapwater and my water are the same..
Is your tap high in pH/GH? And if you are using common pH test kit, pH of your water could be higher than 7.6 unless you are using high range kit.
My tap is around 7.4-7.6 range. I use test drop kits by API..

When fish are in quarantine in extreme conditions, unnecessary medication itself/themselves are stress factors which can contribute to further stress and may lead to death.
As you said, colorful one die of no reason.
There is always reasons, we just dont know for sure. Thus at least we can rule out water condition as possible culpit when given ideal condition.
I knew it was unnecessary when first introducing fish to quarantine tank, but then I knew it was necessary when they started acting like they are ill when I watching them for observation...the colorful one may have died because of hormones people have injected for better color and stimulated growth, which is bad..

GBR was selctively bred and thus stronger and colorful than common ram (at least shipped lot better than common blue/gold ram).
GBR would breed like crazy when kept in ideal conditions and with minimal complications and/or diseases.
No comment.

Cut out all these med. I believe this med is more of disinfectant (oxidant) similar to potassium permanganate.
Personally I would not use such chemicals for prophylactic purposes. And I also dont believe one cures all. It tells you right on the warning that this is not for scaleless fish. This should tell you it can very potent and even toxic to some fish.
I may use it as sterilizing agent for nets, dried tanks, etc. Even then I may not even used it when I can sun dried my equipments/apparatus.
I don't use medications that often in quarantine tanks..unless the fish is showing signs of illness....are you judging me? I am making this thread kinda like as a review for the product since there are not many out there and it is quite new. I am not having trouble at the moment with the rams, infact they are finally in the main display tank now. Healthy and eating well.

BTW, only thing i will use for prophylactic purpose is ideal water condition for specific fish.

If you want to try another batch, check supplier's water for pH, NH3, NO2. Sometimes Ill bring my own test kit to verify the condition being kept. And go from there.
Pardon me if I was too harsh but i am very frustrated with so many GBR losses and complications Ive been reading on few forums.
:nilly: Yada yada...yeah, I understand.

mdog6655

Registered Member
Jul 24, 2010
Trust me buy lifegaurd i have used it when bot of my fish had ick and fungus at the same time it worked perfectly. But you have to take the carbon out of the filter for the five days of treatment and on the sixth day put it back in. and if not cured yet do treatment for another day or two and leave filter with no carbon in still and on the seventh or eighth day whener they get better put the filter back on =) :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store