New to African Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Leak test and eggcrate test:

The next step is to take it to my dad's apartment, set it up on the stand, fill it up, put the eggcrate and rocks in and put the sand in. My dad has a 100 dollar budget on filters, what kind or kinds of filter should I get?

Kevin007

AC Members
May 27, 2008
Nice rocks! The only thing I can say is try to create more holes and don't lean the rocks against the glass.

I am in the same stage myself, 55 gallon tank, mbunas, new rocks, etc.

jameshilljr

Kanien'k?haka-People of the Flint
Jun 8, 2008
Sanford, NC
wow, that's gonna look great- as far as leaning the rocks on the glass, I have my slate rocks resting against the glass without any issues-so far...
good luck!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Nice rocks! The only thing I can say is try to create more holes and don't lean the rocks against the glass.

I am in the same stage myself, 55 gallon tank, mbunas, new rocks, etc.
Yeah, with this setup, there weren't many caves in it, but I didn't go for that, I just put the rocks in to see if the tank could take the weight. When I actually do set it up, I will make more caves for them. The rocks are just barely leaning on the glass, there is barely any weight put on the side glass by the rocks.

Can anybody answer my question?
My dad has a 100 dollar budget on filters, what kind or kinds of filter should I get?

jameshilljr

Kanien'k?haka-People of the Flint
Jun 8, 2008
Sanford, NC

Kevin007

AC Members
May 27, 2008
You can pick up 2 fluval 404's for around $100 on ebay, granted they're not new, but canister is always better than an hob.
+1 I dislike my HOBs, its better as a secondary filter.

I have a 2217 and a HOB on my 55 and I am satisfied, but my tank wouldn't miss a beat without the HOB.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
The location of the tank and the type of stand makes it almost impossible to run a canister filter, I'll have to stick with HOBs. But at least I'm getting Aquaclear HOBs. Plus, there aren't any used 404s for sale on Ebay.

Kevin007

AC Members
May 27, 2008
The location of the tank and the type of stand makes it almost impossible to run a canister filter, I'll have to stick with HOBs. But at least I'm getting Aquaclear HOBs. Plus, there aren't any used 404s for sale on Ebay.
Well, my tank stand was brought from ikea, it was back in the day when their stuff were still sturdy. There was no holes in the back of the stand so I had to leave the cannister beside the tank, it still is and the canister doesn't even look bad, in fact, my visitors think its more "professional" hahaah

My advice is say no to the HOB, I have 3 in total, those who say they are great have never used a canister before.

I guess if you cannot afford a canister then HOBs are the next best option, I recommond buyin a cannister, I would've saved alot of money if I brought the 2217 from the beginning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store