New to aquarium hobby

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
20g long or 29g is a nice starter size tank if space is limited for you.

Welcome to the site.

HugoFish

AC Members
Sep 11, 2019
Albania
Real Name
Gleis
Never ask that question. I got my fishes without even researching for their species or how big would they be and they are more than fine . You will get really confused if you search on internet fishes for beginner . You only need to ask if they are predator or saltwater fish.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Never ask that question. I got my fishes without even researching for their species or how big would they be and they are more than fine . You will get really confused if you search on internet fishes for beginner . You only need to ask if they are predator or saltwater fish.
I would not consider this as sound advice by any means.

Reactions: dudley and Sploke

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt

Going to disagree pretty wholeheartedly here.

1) there are a lot more factors to consider beyond simply marine/freshwater and aggression level

2)Doing research prior to getting fish (or any other pet) is hardly a bad thing.

Some things to consider when you start planning your aquarium - where will it be located - on a countertop or table, or on a designated tank stand? How close are you to a sink to facilitate water changes (carrying enough buckets to do a proper water change on a 55 or 90gal tank clear across the house gets old quick). Typically, the answer is "as big as you can fit/afford". A larger tank is generally more stable from a water parameter and temperature perspective and is less susceptible to sudden changes. However, everything is more $$$ with a larger tank - more decor, more gravel, larger filter, heater, lights, etc. So, it will partly be driven by budget. If you have space a 29gal or a 30gal long are decent starter sizes in the area of, not too expensive, but large enough to give you a lot of options for stock and decor.

Reactions: dudley

HugoFish

AC Members
Sep 11, 2019
Albania
Real Name
Gleis
Going to disagree pretty wholeheartedly here.

1) there are a lot more factors to consider beyond simply marine/freshwater and aggression level

2)Doing research prior to getting fish (or any other pet) is hardly a bad thing.

Some things to consider when you start planning your aquarium - where will it be located - on a countertop or table, or on a designated tank stand? How close are you to a sink to facilitate water changes (carrying enough buckets to do a proper water change on a 55 or 90gal tank clear across the house gets old quick). Typically, the answer is "as big as you can fit/afford". A larger tank is generally more stable from a water parameter and temperature perspective and is less susceptible to sudden changes. However, everything is more $$$ with a larger tank - more decor, more gravel, larger filter, heater, lights, etc. So, it will partly be driven by budget. If you have space a 29gal or a 30gal long are decent starter sizes in the area of, not too expensive, but large enough to give you a lot of options for stock and decor.
I was talking about fishes , not fish tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Even more important when talking fish.....

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I was talking about fishes , not fish tank.
Even more important when talking fish.....
This...if you just go out and randomly pick out a fishtank, you can research and choose fish to suit. If you randomly go out and pick fish without research, you could end up with a big mess.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
your current tank....

Reactions: the loach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store