New to fish ponds - not completely sure what to do

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
One thing to note with some of the fancies is that they may not do so well in the winter when the pond freezes over unless they are brought in.

I can't remember which- but some fancies are susceptable to colder temps.

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
One thing to note with some of the fancies is that they may not do so well in the winter when the pond freezes over unless they are brought in.

I can't remember which- but some fancies are susceptable to colder temps.

Not a problem as I live in California. :cool:

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
You could still get snow... You're new to the house, but are you new to the area you're in?

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
I don't think LA gets snow. ;) Unless it's a really freak occurence. Plus, we're just a couple of miles from the beach, so the water will keep us pretty temperate. We're not tucked in a valley or anything. We get all the sea air.

That said, before getting any fish, I'm planning on doing plenty or research!

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
cool... yeah, we only get snow at the higher altitudes. I saw it once at sea level in 20 years living in ca, and that was a really light dusting, not enough to freeze a pond... I would have a backup plan, for short term in house fish keeping, in case we have another super cold (36F for a couple days) winter.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Why did I think you were in Wisconsin? Bit of a difference there! ;) Yeah, I imagine you might be OK if it doesn't stay below freezing during the day ever.

Here in SC we get some days below freezing but not very often it stays below freezing long into the daylight hours... although sometimes it will.

I know back when I lived in England the rule was the pond should be 1 metre deep if you want fish to survive the winter... I imagine in either of our locations you might be able to get away with significantly less- although in both our cases summer highs would be more of a concern anyway... thus the need for deep water.

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Gotta say, though, the good soooo outweighs the bad when you go out in the morning to say hello to your fishy and see if any of your lilies are blooming yet...I have a teeny lily that is only supposed to have a 1' spread...It is still a baby, but something like that might fit in your pond and give Rambo more hiding places, too. Does the pond get any sunshine?
It gets a little. What kind of lillies do you have? Something like that might be really good for Rambo to hid in and help with the water quality.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Oh, wow. So non-toxic to fish doesn't mean non-toxic to other animals?

I'm considering getting a piece of wooden trellis anyway to lay over the top of the pond. Not super attractive, but it would keep the dog, and more importantly the toddler out of the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store