New to Paludarium Building

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ohbly

AC Members
Feb 9, 2006
New Zealand
To add to Ozy's post, you can also mix peat/coco fibre with grout, and coat the foam with that.
Its looking great btw. I really like the sloped stream running along the back.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
there is another method that i've learned about recently it involves using tight bound III wood glue and mixing in peat (or other media) and sort of painting it on it's supposed to be much easier and comes out looking really good. also it's pretty water proof you just have to let it cure for a while. the people that have used it have said that it a whole lot easier than the coco fiber silicone method.
good thinking, ozy.

anyway, for clarification... http://www.vivariumforum.com/community/terra-construction/5130-grimms-vivarium-build-2-a.html

there's other threads i can't seem to find and a link that's so old it's now non-existent.

froggsong

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Titebond III all the way. :) I'll never use silicone again, and I will never ever ever do grout again (too time consuming!), but I've used a very similar method to the Titebond, and love the way it looks. The Titebond is great because it's waterproof.

To save money, if you have an ACE near you, check there for the big jug of it, otherwise you'll spend more in the long run. (if you decide to try it, that is).

rdeloughery

Registered Member
Aug 15, 2009
I have to admit I have learned a lot during this process. #1: if using the silicone peat moss method make sure your Great Stuff is on the smooth side, too many nooks and crannys makes it an even more unenjoyable to do. #2: If you can do the Land mass outside of the tank and drop it is, it has got to be easier than reaching inside the tank to cover things in silicone and peat.
The work continues. The new pictures show the background pretty much done (some touch ups to cover bare spots) and how I added some height to the land mass border with another application of GS so I can layer all the substrate. I am planning on putting down a layer of hydroton, some weed guard, then substrate on that for the plants to root in. How does this sound to everyone?
I need to cover the remaining GS (including the river which I have since siliconed and attempted to put a gravel base on), add substrate, and add some cork in front of the screen in the front. As always, any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

Salt4Sam

fulltime workaholic
Aug 4, 2010
Philadelphia
This looks great! Im going to subscribe to the link to see how it turns out! Sorru i cant be of any help, Im about to drain my tank to start my first paludarium in about a week or so. Best of luck to you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store