New to planted aquarium, trying a DIY CO2 generator

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LeonPez

AC Members
Feb 5, 2012
Eudora, Kansas
Real Name
Leon
Hey, I just signed up on this site and I am new to trying planted aquariums.

I got a 30 gallon tall aquarium that someone abandoned and decided to set it up. Started looking at plants and went into a pet store that was selling aquariums for $1.00 per gallon. Before I knew it I made an impulse purchase of two more aquariums. I got a 20 Gallon tall and a 40 gallon long. I have all 3 tanks set up but I don't have anything in the last two other than substrate, water and an operating filter. Good grief is this suppose to be this addicting?

Anyway, I set up the first tank about 2 weeks ago and have a few plants in it. I saw a shop that was selling something called Water Onion for 3 small unsprouted bulbs for $6.98. The label identified the plant as Zephyranthes candidum. Well I have that plant growing a pot with maybe 150 bulbs but I know the plant as rain lily. I pulled out about 15 plants and spaced them out in the aquarium. they look like a miniature forest.

I also bought a moss ball, a Jungle Red Valisneria, an Anubias nana, an Anubias hastifolia, a banana plant, a bunch of Bocopa and something that looks like a type of Acoris. That last one was not labelled so I am unsure what that thing is.

A few days ago I set up a makeshift CO2 generator using a 2 liter pop bottle and sugar water with yeast. It took me a couple of days fighting with it to get the pop bottle completely sealed. Today the CO2 line is putting 3-5 bubbles of CO2 per second. I am wondering if that is enough to help. The CO2 bubbles go up the intake to the filter pump.

Unfortunately I also tried to put fish in this tank too quickly. I purchased several small shrimp (Algae eating shrimp and Dark Green shrimp) and about a dozen swordtails. The swordtails ate the green shrimp and proceeded to die. One swordtail is still kicking and if it ever dies I will buy more shrimp.

In the two weeks I've had the tank set up the algae has flourished. It looks like I will be doing a lot of glass scraping to keep it at bay.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Welcome to AC! It is indeed a very addictive hobby! You will see many of us refer to it as MTS (multi tank syndrome)...lol. Without seeing it, it's hard to know, but the algae you are referring to may be brown diatoms which occur frequently in new tanks. They eventually go away. You need to cycle your tank before adding any critters. Especially shrimp....they need a pretty well established system. You can do a search on here....you will find all you need to get your cycle underway. Sounds like you are off to a great start! This forum is full of wonderful people willing to share their knowledge...just ask!

LeonPez

AC Members
Feb 5, 2012
Eudora, Kansas
Real Name
Leon
Planted Aquarium

I just did some cleaning of the glass and yeah, the gunk I scraped off is brown with some green in it. I took a photo of a portion of the tank and you can see the growth on the leaves and stems of the plants. Should I try to rub or wash the junk off the leaves. I am not sure I can do that without damaging the leaves.

Tank1.jpg

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
If it is diatoms...you should be able to gently rub the leaves between your fingers and it will come off. Or you can leave it. It will look bad, but will evantually go away....couple of weeks usually. That's what it looks like in the pic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store