New to Rift Lake Cichlids, need help with stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

flyingfox272

AC Members
Dec 31, 2011
I have kept and even bred fish for over 20 years but I am a noob when it comes to African RLCs. Well I am ready to take the plunge, I will be starting out with a 46gal bowfront which I have just installed a DIY 3D background on.

I know this tank is a bit small but I will eventually be moving them into my 90gal tank when I have it set up just how I want it.(background, filtration, etc)

So what I am looking for are Mbunas(Malawi tank) which show great colors, have a smaller adult size and are fairly easy to keep. I have been doing some research and I'm getting a little woozy since I can barely pronounce the names.

How about P. Saulosi, Yellow Labs, and L. Caeruleus for starters? These are a few I have seen as good starters in other threads.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks!
Frank

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
First, never mix species that have the same colors/patterns. Female saulosi look too much like yellow Lab's. (Incidentally, L. caeruleus ARE yellow Lab's.)
A group of 12 demasoni and some yellow Lab's would work with sufficient filtration and water changes. They're both smaller species, though the demasoni are such holy terrors among their own species that less than 10 won't work long-term.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Or you can do some Cynotalipia Afra's there are a couple of variants you can choose from that are nice looking, i had the white top Afra and they can be stunning, with these you could add the Yellow Labs AKA Labidochromis Caeruleus and have a nice mix..

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
you posted that you wanted rift lake cichlds, and in your post you wanted malawis, think you got the title wrong lol, rift lake and malawis are two totally differnt lakes of species :) but seeing as you want malawis, why not go for what others said, 12 demasonis ( yes do NOT have less then 10...... learned the hard way, they will kill eachother tell ones left, most likly a male ) and 8 yellow labs with some smaller catfish ( cant think of the name but petrica er somthing like that? the smaller type? )

good luck!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
you posted that you wanted rift lake cichlds, and in your post you wanted malawis, think you got the title wrong lol, rift lake and malawis are two totally differnt lakes of species :) but seeing as you want malawis, why not go for what others said, 12 demasonis ( yes do NOT have less then 10...... learned the hard way, they will kill eachother tell ones left, most likly a male ) and 8 yellow labs with some smaller catfish ( cant think of the name but petrica er somthing like that? the smaller type? )

good luck!
Last I checked Lake Malawi is a rift lake in Africa...

And I think you are referring to Synodontis petricola.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
LMAO Malawi and Tanganyika are both Rift Lakes Douglas, dude do i need to school you..

flyingfox272

AC Members
Dec 31, 2011
First, never mix species that have the same colors/patterns. Female saulosi look too much like yellow Lab's. (Incidentally, L. caeruleus ARE yellow Lab's.)
A group of 12 demasoni and some yellow Lab's would work with sufficient filtration and water changes. They're both smaller species, though the demasoni are such holy terrors among their own species that less than 10 won't work long-term.
Thanks for the advise, demasoni look great!

flyingfox272

AC Members
Dec 31, 2011
Or you can do some Cynotalipia Afra's there are a couple of variants you can choose from that are nice looking, i had the white top Afra and they can be stunning, with these you could add the Yellow Labs AKA Labidochromis Caeruleus and have a nice mix..
Thanks Bro, these fish look great and so many variations. This is going to be a tough call.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
LOL good luck with that my friend, its why i have 11 tanks right now..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store