New to salt water: doing some research before taking the dive into the salty depths

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Twistycricket

AC Members
Mar 30, 2016
I have a 37gT, tempered glass, freshwater aquarium that was my first aquarium. The inhabitants recently moved into a 120g tank and then had to move back due to a setback. Once the fish are back in the 120g tank, I am considering turning the 37g tank into a saltwater tank. At this point I become saltwater stupid as to what is possible or needed for this tank. Please educate me and point me in the right direction as to what I need to read. I am willing to do my homework and usually do so on my own, but Ihave discovered that this forum is an excellent source of data. So this forum will be my starting point search engine. Share your knowledge with me please; I'm all ears.
Thank you!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Are you looking for a "fish-only" or a reef?

Twistycricket

AC Members
Mar 30, 2016
I'm open to anything. I'm a persistent person when it comes to getting it right. I do what it takes to keep pristine water and healthy tanks.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
A SW "fish-only" is easier to handle for a "Newbie". Reefs are more demanding and less forgiving.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'd suggest looking into a FOWLR, then if you decide to go wih a reef tank, you will likely only need to upgrade lighting and add corals.

What are the dimensions of the 37g tank? (I'm personally a huge fan of the old Oceanic 37g tanks.. love the dimensions) and I'm assuming it isn't drilled.

Having a sump will help remove equipment out of the display tank, but they are not always an option

Twistycricket

AC Members
Mar 30, 2016
Having a sump is not an option for this tank as it sits on my mantel above the rat cage and next to another 20 g tank in the serving window. The tank is milky because I just nuked it and added a crap load of salt.

image.jpg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
unless you're taking water out, now you have added salt, it looks like a FO tank.

cycling will be similar to FW, but the bacteria themselves will be different.

hopefully you have a way to mix water outside the tank for water changes, and a good source of RO water for that and for topoff.

Twistycricket

AC Members
Mar 30, 2016
Yes I can mix water outside the tank. I don't have an r/o system yet.

The fish are battling columarius. I was losing the battle in the 120 so I nuked the infected 120 and 37. Rehoused some fish for condensed treatment. The chiclids are being treated in the 37. They are protected with prime and stability. Columarius can't live at concentrations above 1% salinity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store