New zebra danios- what to do

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tiger_cory

i'm the pie
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Real Name
hello
Yesterday I went to the fish store to get five zebra danios. It turned out that they weren't all zebra danios- one was a leopard danio! They went home to a tank with a pair of platies and a baby bristlenose. The temperature of the tank is between 74-76 Fahrenheit. Is that too warm for them? They were doing fine at first, then I noticed some of them darting around the tank like crazy. I read that they're nervous but they have a school of five, so how could they be ( unless they think that the leopard danio isn't part of their shoal; she doesn't swim with them often- problem? )? Today they seem fine, ate a bit and aren't crazy. They tend to hang out in pairs though, not in a shoal. The leopard danio is often by herself. Any other info on zebra/ leopard danios would be helpful, I know that they are among the easiest tropical fish, but I lost SO many platies to internal parasite when my dad wouldn't buy the medicine and they are easy fish too. There's also an aggrieve female that looks like she is full of eggs, should I remove her?
Thanks

tiger_cory

i'm the pie
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Real Name
hello
My iPad spelled aggressive wrong:rolleyes:

BallAquatics

Fish Breeder
Oct 9, 2010
Central Ohio, USA
www.ballaquatics.com
Real Name
Dennis Ball
Leopard's are just a variation of the Zebra Danio so they will be fine together. Temp is fine, they are very adaptable. My tanks run from upper 60's in the winter to mid 80's in the summer and they thrive.

With Danios, more is better. If you have room increase your group to 10 or 12. Normally in the aquarium, the fish can see each other and think they are close enough to be in the shoal, don't expect they to be bunched up together. I wouldn't remove the female. When they are in good shape they will spawn almost weekly.

Dennis

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Your Danios are fine. they need time to settle in and all of them will hook up and shoal together. The more active shoaling fish are the harder it is for them to adapt at first, thus swimmng all over the place wildly. Give them time and a few more friends if the tank is big enough.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
How big is the tank? Danios are among the most active fish popular in the hobby. They don't really school, they shoal--which means hanging out together in a loose group, but not really all doing the the same thing.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What size tank is this?

I love the 4 zebra danios in my 55g. Originally I had them in my 10g, but moved them into my 55 to help cycle it, and they've been in there ever since. They're fun to watch. They love going all through the densely planted areas of my 55.

tiger_cory

i'm the pie
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Real Name
hello
How big is the tank? Danios are among the most active fish popular in the hobby. They don't really school, they shoal--which means hanging out together in a loose group, but not really all doing the the same thing.
30 by 12 inches
It's 29 gallons

tiger_cory

i'm the pie
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Real Name
hello
Oh and the danios are moving their tails in a 'scissorlike' action ( like scissortail rasboras ). Is this normal? What can I use to vary their diet? I'm thinking of begging my dad for some freeze dried food for Christmas, plus I want to feed them veggies. So far I have peas, lettuce, and cucumber, which is also compatible with my platies and bristlenose. What other veggies or fruit can the three species eat? And how to I prepare them?
thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store