Newbie 40 gal - Skimmer/Filter Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

woohoo7676

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
Hi everyone!

First off, just wanted to say I've learned tons already from these forums, its great! :thm: I'm trying to start a new 40 gallon FOWLR tank - I plan on going today to get started.

I had a question about filters/skimmers. I'd like to get a good quality skimmer, and I've heard the AquaC Remora (http://www.petstore.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=AC3113&child=ACRDM&utm_source=pscseggl&utm_medium=pscse&utm_term=pscsegglACRDM&utm_content=pscsegglAquaC%20Remora%20Hang-On%20Protein%20Skimmer%20w/%20Drain%20Fitting%20+%20Maxi-Jet%201200%20Pump&utm_campaign=pscseggl )will do a very good job for that at around $180. From there I'm not sure because I've heard both that a hang on regular filter is needed, and some that say a protein skimmer is all you need. The LFS recommended a Bak Pak which has the traditional filter and protein skimmer in one for $200.

Do you guys think it would be a better idea to go with the Remora and maybe another traditional filter, or is it ok to go with the somewhat cheaper all in one Bak Pak?

Thanks for the help!
Tommy

dingraha

Fish Fondler
Aug 21, 2008
South Jersey
First off, welcome to AC!

As long as you have a good amount of live rock and keep up on your weekly water changes, a decent protien skimmer will be plenty sufficeint.

woohoo7676

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
Great, thanks! I just ordered the AquaC Remora =)

I also had a question about buying an RO filter - would it be a good idea to get one at this point, or are there not many benefits vs treating tap water?

Among the local classifieds I found a CORALIFE Pure-Flo II™ Premium TFC for $50, if that would be a good choice.

Thanks again =)

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
It depends on your water source, if you can find someone local to you who uses tap water, that would be ideal to get their opinion..and even see their tank.

Most cases, tap water has too much bad stuff for saltwater, you'll have algae outbreaks, diatom issues, even unhappy coral. You may be lucky and have an excellent tap water source, many reefers in my area use tap water and have no issues. I use RO, but have topped off with tap water in a pinch. You'll have to pay attention to mains being flushed around town, as this will kick up all kinds of ugly sediment that could do a whole lot of harm.

If you aren't sure and can't find an answer to your question about your tap water source, it'll be wiser to go the RO route and eliminate any possibility of major issues before you gain any experience. SW can be overwhelming if things go wrong right off the bat. If you read a lot online, there is almost a SW bible that some people swear you must go by, otherwise you will fail horribly. That may be the case for some people, but not for everyone. It's best to follow this SW 'bible' (lol) to start with, and with time and experience you can begin to experiment and learn what you can and can't get away with.

dingraha

Fish Fondler
Aug 21, 2008
South Jersey
R/O or distilled water is the best way to go. I personally don't have my own R/O unit (I purchase my water from my lfs). You def. want to stay away from regular tap water. Most tap water is high in phosphates and can cause serious diatom/algae problems in your tank.

Sorry woohoo, Dan posted right before me and was more thorough ;)

Last edited:

woohoo7676

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
The more advice the better! ;)

You guys definitely make a good point - it seems like buying an RO filter now will pay off later.

I'm enjoying this community already! Final (for now I promise) questions before I go off and get things:

1. Is there a preferred salt mix brand? I was going to just get a bucket of Instant Ocean, but after reading the new marine aquarium, apparently they are all not created equal.

2. For lighting, the book recommended a twin fluorescent bulb config, with one full spectrum white, and one full spectrum "blue actinic" - what kind of lighting are you guys using in your tanks?

Much appreciated!

dingraha

Fish Fondler
Aug 21, 2008
South Jersey
I personally use Instant Ocean salt mix. (It seems to be the most popular and my lfs also recommended it).

For my light, I use a 30" compact flourescent 130 watt with moon lights. The bulbs are one 12,000k and one actinic. (I just got the light this week and have not added any corals yet). You don't really need a good light until after your tank cycles and you are ready to add corals.

As long as you take it slow and make sure your tank cycles properly you shouldn't have any problems. Also, make sure you add your fish slow. I waited a full 2 months (wich is a little exessive, but i wanted to be safe) to add my first fish and clean up crew. Then I waited another full month before adding my two clowns. Keep up on your water changes and keep an eye on your parameters and you'll be fine.

I went by this process almost exactly with no problems so far: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79292

Last edited:

thincat

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
You should be okay with the CORALIFE Pure-Flo II™ Premium TFC for $50, later if you need to you can add on a DI filter at very little cost.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
I use Instant Ocean Salt.

Lighting ...just Fowlr... 10k and 20k bulb would be fine.. or what you mentioned...

I wouldn't worry about lighting since you are not doing the coral or other photosynthetic life stocking.

What do you plan on doing for flow?

What tank size ..sump etc etc you doing anyway?

What are your plans on stock so far?

PS. Invest in liquid test kits ...and check your tap water...
You have no bad readings ...why not use it i guess. Just check it once a week.

Links in My sig I recommend you read.

woohoo7676

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
Back!

Ouch my poor wallet :'(

Bought:

40 gal tank
Floating thermometer
Hydrometer
60 lbs of sand
Dual tube light/hood http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/236412/product.web
Big ol bucket of Oceanic salt (what the LFS had, no instant ocean)
One http://www.aquariumguys.com/hydor-koralia-3-pump.html
and one http://www.aquariumguys.com/hydor-koralia-2-pump.html

Now just need to wait for the protein skimmer and RO filter to come and I'll be ready to start cycling!

ToeJam - for flow I've got the two koralia pumps above, 40 gal tank with no sump

As far as stock, I'm not sure yet, probably start out with a damsel as the first fish, then maybe go with two clown fish, and determine the rest from there. For clean up crew, I'm thinking a couple peppermint shrimps and some snails? If you have any recommendations for that, I'd love to hear since I'm not really sure about that part.

dingraha, did you use added ammonia to cycle your tank? I didn't see that step in the link you mentioned, but I had seen something about it in other guides, was wondering if it was necessary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store