Newbie & Albino Cory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CharityTable

Registered Member
Nov 3, 2019
I’ve had fish tanks since I was very young so while I’m new to the very technical aspects of fish care I’m very familiar with the general needs of a tank.

3 years ago my family got a tank and we got an Albino Catfish to help keep it clean.

Recently I’ve been doing research on some funny behavior I saw him doing and noticed a lot of people say you need multiple of them because they school, as well as needing a 20 gallon long tank at worst.

My catfish started in a 10 gallon and survived a move into a 20 high. He’s never had any health problems I could tell and seems to be doing pretty well.

Is there something I’m just missing or is my catfish just a rare loner?

The other fish in the tank are 2 fancytail guppies, 1 3in Chinese algae eater, 5 glass catfish, and 2 fish who I don’t know

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Yes Corydoras are very social fish and need to be kept in groups... of their own species. "Albino" isn't a species though, it's an aeneus or paleatus. Though there is no fish that will "clean" a tank, that is something that LFS employees made up so they could sell more fish.
High tanks are terrible... but still better as a 10 gallon. Post pictures of the other fish so we can identify them... there is the danger that they become predatory, outgrow the tank, or both.

CharityTable

Registered Member
Nov 3, 2019
Yes Corydoras are very social fish and need to be kept in groups... of their own species. "Albino" isn't a species though, it's an aeneus or paleatus. Though there is no fish that will "clean" a tank, that is something that LFS employees made up so they could sell more fish.
High tanks are terrible... but still better as a 10 gallon. Post pictures of the other fish so we can identify them... there is the danger that they become predatory, outgrow the tank, or both.
These guys survived the transfer from the 10 gallon tank as well and I haven’t had any issues with aggression accept against each other. There use to be a third but it used to hide from the two here and it eventually passed away.

ACC01BA2-5570-4E2B-8FA1-54AB03B05451.jpeg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Those are "blueberry tetras" they won't outgrow the tank but they are dyed it is generally considered inhumane.
They also need to be in schools of at least 6 (but don't get more painted fish in that case get the black or white skirt tetras) also depending on the species of the glass catfish your tank might get overstocked they get to 3" to 6" the tetras get 3" the CAE 6-7"....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store