Newbie needs HELP! Anemone and fish disappeared and dying, might be in Live Rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
Sorry to say but your tank was a little young for nems, by doing 5% WC's you will only lower your trates 5% each time so you might want to try a couple 25-30% WC's to try to lower your trates. I wouldnt toss the rock unless it is contaminated, doing larger WC's will help to take care of the trates. It would help to know the actuall Ammonia, Trite and Trate readings and what lighting do you have and size of tank.

rxdoc_85

AC Members
Mar 9, 2008
st. louis, missouri
yeah, i'd also recommend doing larger water changes. let's say your levels are at 5ppm, and if you only do a 5% water change, you're only going to go down to 4.75ppm. however, if you do a 25% water change, then you're all the way down to 3.75. then your next 25% water change will get it down to 2.8. i usually do about a 10-15% water change weekly, but my levels were up a little today, so i did about a 25% change just to be on the safe side. good luck to you, hope you can get this all figured out. i hate to hear when a fellow aquarist loses livestock:(

Blossom112

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Toronto
i would not throw out the rock ...... if the rock has holes that big for things to hide i would suggest breaking the rock and find your missing then replace the LR as fast as you can so you dont have too much die off .
You have to find the missing b4 your amm spikes
Good luck
bigger water changes , i know its a pain lol
i do 30 to 50% in a 2 day period.
Tomorrow is my water change day aruggg.
getting water ready tonight

ldeffinbaugh

AC Members
Apr 26, 2008
yeah, i'd also recommend doing larger water changes. let's say your levels are at 5ppm, and if you only do a 5% water change, you're only going to go down to 4.75ppm. however, if you do a 25% water change, then you're all the way down to 3.75. then your next 25% water change will get it down to 2.8. i usually do about a 10-15% water change weekly, but my levels were up a little today, so i did about a 25% change just to be on the safe side. good luck to you, hope you can get this all figured out. i hate to hear when a fellow aquarist loses livestock:(
Well my biggest fear is that it wont stop due to the dead fish/aneome(sp) being in there still, which i would think that after a few months it should be over, that it would not stop. so hopefully continuing to clean the tank would help.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
i take my water to a local pet store. About a month ago it was the highest level, which was bad, now passing 3 weeks it has moved down one spot, if that helps.

Not really. We could do with knowing exactly what your readings are, it will help us know more of what we are dealing with, is there any way you can do them yourself? With you've said at the moment I'd do large water changes (about 30/40%) every three days. It sounds to me like a few things have died. I'd also run carbon just to make sure because of the anemones toxins. A picture of your tank set up would also help us visualise your problem.

marinemad

marine mad
Apr 14, 2008
scotland
i agree we need exact details amonia nitrate nitrite ph etc i also suggest getting your own test kits they not realy expensive and worth every penny.
bigger water changes essent! we need to get the water sorted before you lose any more!
do you add any chemicals?? have you added any medicine??
i would keep your rock if you that worried set up a box with power head, saltwater keep it in there and test that water! when its normal you can add rock again.
if you do buy new rock i would do the box thing any way to make sure its fully cured and no nasties hiding in it!
if you add rock into tank thats not fully cured its back to square one and your tank will cycle.
how long did you cycle your tank? we need more info to help please.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store