Newbie on the forum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ross_328

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
Hi am new to this forum, and new to fish really and am trying to find information out before i purchase any fish any help would be grateful. What would be the best sort of fish to start with marine, fresh or brackish any help would be gratefully appreciated thanks ross

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

I think FW is best for your first venture.

Also, research how to cycle a tank to get it ready for fish.

Stay away from claims of instant cycle products except Bio-Spira.

Do not trust most any Fish Store employee; often they will give mis-leading info or totally incorrect.

When you have more of an idea on what size tank and what kind/how many fish you want, post you choices here for feedback.

Look forward to working with you!

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
Welcome to AC. Fishkeeping all hinges on 3 things that will guide you to make an initial desicion. This will be very basic advise, but i will try to cover it the best i can untill a moderator steps in.
the three initial things to consider:
Interest:What type of fishkeeping appeals to you
Budget: You must prepare for all of the initial costs AND the continuos costs (food, maintenance items) Also remember that just because you can find an item for a lower price; does not necessarily mean that it is a quality item. the same rule applies to more expensive items.
Time: you must be able to have significant time for feedings and other routine maintenance. This includes time spent shopping as well.

Generally, it is best to understand the environment that you are trying to recreate. Freshwater fish are hardier (within reasonable exeptions) than saltwater fish for the simple reason that the saltwater environment is much more stable than a river or lake. As i said before, this is only basic so there will always be new or more complex things to learn. The best advise that i have recieved was to research everything that you can about this untill your eyes dry out and then appy eyedrops. :read:

so the best of luck in your indeavours, and remember; dont be discouraged, everyone makes mistakes.
:thm:

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
blackwolfXKAV said:
Freshwater fish are hardier (within reasonable exeptions) than saltwater fish for the simple reason that the saltwater environment is much more stable than a river or lake.
Good point, blackwolf. Along those same lines, by definition freshwater environments are enclosed. They all occur terrestrially, and are cut off from each other by land. Whereas the marine environment is open and basically (for all intents and purposes) endless. Therefore, taking an organism that is adapted to limitless, open habitat and putting into an enclosed environment is going to cause stress just in itself.

Anyway, welcome Ross! I'm glad you're doing your research before buying :clap:
If only everyone were like you.

Ross_328

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
Thank you for all the tips but some of you are quoting fresh water the easiest and others salt quite confusing. As regards for the type of fish i would like pretty coulourful and active with maybe an dominant attitude any help would be greatly appreciated bout a 40 gallon tank
thanks Ross

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
best advise is to look in some fish stores (but dont buy anything) and pick out the best looking fish (in your mind) and then research from there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store